Rumpelstiltskin, the last of his kind, dances alone in the darkness before a leaping fire, casting a giant shadow on a craggy mountain face as he relates in ominous verse his plan to "find a child of my own to chase away the dark." Huddled around a fire in a primitive, nomadic village, Uta conspires with his mother to swindle the king out of his yearly tribute by inventing a false prophecy that his daughter, Alana, would, at the first full moon of each year, spin straw into gold. As Rumpelstiltskin peeks out from a nomad's tent, Alana is abducted by the king and his reluctant son, Marius, and taken to the king's castle, where she is sent to work spinning straw into gold. In the castle the mood lightens as romance blossoms between Alana and Marius and comedy reigns among the royal servants: Old Nanny, Cook, Birdy and her niece, Pigeon. Still, the rhyming Rumpelstiltskin is manipulating every step of the way, and there is always the underlying unease that he will appear and exact his dreadful payment.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code R82000
- Cast Size 10
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 65 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages) | Praise Groups
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | TYA | Touring Group | Praise Group
- Genre Comedy | Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781583425466
- "Rumpelstiltskin is a delightful romp that appeals to all ages and genders. The dream of royalty and gold catches the imagination of the young, while the depth of the story keeps the most discriminating adult amused."
- Review by Nathan Colby, Foothills Children's Theatre, Worcester, Mass.