In an apocalyptic future where children are kept like animals and human life is cheap, young Kira learns the ugly truth about the powers controlling her world. A gifted weaver, her talent catches the attention of the Council of Guardians. Under their custody, Kira is made to mend and embellish the ceremonial Singer's Robea garment that tells the history of the world. But the longer she works, the more she learns about the horrifying secrets that keep her community hostage. Can she use her knowledge and art to reshape the future? Based on Lois Lowry's companion piece to The Giver, Gathering Blue tells a suspenseful tale of the power of creativity to fight brutality.
No livestream rights are available for this title.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code GD1000
- Cast Size 8
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 65 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | TYA
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781619590151
- "The show was great for my middle school students at their One-Act Play contest. We placed at the traditionally difficult contest and the audience connected with this somewhat little known play/story. Great to showcase a strong female actor. "
- Review by Eric Craddock, Walnut Grove Middle School, Midlothian, Texas
- "A powerful story! My students and I appreciated the acting challenges and opportunities for creativity. The flexible cast size and running time (about an hour) were ideal for us."
- Review by Kristin Skaggs, Rivermont Collegiate, Bettendorf, Iowa
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Consider renting the Singer's Robe from First Stage in Milwaukee ... we did and it was fantastic!"
- Tip by Eric Craddock, Walnut Grove Middle School, Midlothian, Texas
Media Reviews"Gathering Blue continues a remarkably successful run of plays based on Lowry's books that began with Coble's adaptation of The Giver … it's prickly, picking at the edges of ideas, peeking under the blanket of comfortability to stare at the fears and dangers underneath … The sharp whooshing sound of 250 or so middle-school kids inhaling in shock together can fill a theater in a most exhilarating way." -Oregon Arts Watch
"A sophisticated approach to the material that draws out the everyday heroism of the characters who find themselves in a sinister world … A tastefully executed adaptation of a story that bravely addresses some of the darker shadows in the world around us." -Express Milwaukee
"Deep and complex … The world of the future is pictured as desolate and despairing, but in the children we see the light of brighter possibilities." -Dennis Sparks Reviews
"Five out of five stars … An enchanting and empowering story that shows the power of art and the importance of thinking for yourself." -PDX Kids Calendar
"Powerfully evokes this dystopian world … The desolation is brightened by necessary comic relief, getting laughs out of children and adults alike." -Willamette Week
"Thought-provoking … this futuristic story has a definite bite to it." -Portlandfamily.com
"Vivid, earnest and engrossing." -The Oregonian
|City Central Courtyard||Ponca City||Oklahoma||4/23/2021||4/25/2021|