No livestream rights are available for this title.
Our downloadable Logo Pack will make promoting your show a breeze!
Click here to learn more.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code G91000
- Cast Size 6
- Min. Royalty Rate $110/perf
- Cost $11.95
- Approx. Run Time 70 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | TYA
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781583426623
- "This show was great for my junior high group. They loved the story!"
- Review by Heather Garsen, Friendswood Junior High, Friendswood, Texas
- "The Giver was a wonderful script. Very thoughtfully adapted and well staged. We LOVED diving into this dystopian world and exploring what sameness REALLY means. The characters stretched us all as actors. We completely loved this experience!"
- Review by Sarah Plamann, Hamilton High School, Sussex, Wis.
- "A beloved middle school book with which many of our students are familiar, turned into a beautiful stage adaptation."
- Review by Shannon Malrich, Triad High School, Troy, Ill.
- "We've been honored with the opportunity of producing The Giver for school performances. The whole production staff, cast and designers fell in love with the project, but the best part was that the audience composed of students and teachers were ecstatic as well. It's definitely a story filled with love and magic."
- Review by Madelyn Ortiz, Corporacion Teatro Latino, Carolina, Puerto Rico
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "My perspective on the play is that the audience is seeing things through the eyes of Jonas. I think a single flash of color as the apple flies through the air is too fast for the eye to catch, and I feel it is vital that we establish the color red at that point in the story. So, here's how we're handling it: Jonas and Asher are tossing a GREY apple back and forth. We establish Asher's tendency to fumble his catches. At one of Asher's fumbles, he turns upstage, pockets the GREY apple and switches into play a RED apple that has been pre-set in his pocket. Jonas catches the RED apple. Jonas plays that moment of discovery with the apple in his hand, then tosses back a RED apple, asking Asher if he's noticed anything. As Asher catches a RED apple and tosses it back to Jonas, Jonas is struck by what he sees that Asher does not. Asher heads off. Jonas keeps the RED apple and pockets it. During the scene immediately following, when Gabriel enters the family for the first time, Jonas goes to the baby's basket to examine the eyes of this child who has eyes like his. I've directed audience focus away from Jonas as Mother takes Lily aside to tell her that being a Birth Mother is not a future to aspire to. That's when Jonas makes a switch from the RED apple in his pocket to a GREY apple hidden in blankets in Gabe's basket. When the announcement comes that snacks are to be eaten and not hoarded, Jonas produces from his pocket a GREY apple."
- Tip by Carol North, Metro Theatre Company, St. Louis, Mo.
Media Reviews"Questions are imaginatively, sensitively, and deftly explored in a gorgeous tale." -Lexington Herald-Leader
"A grand morality tale with a magical quality." -Pegasus News
"An absorbing production that asks both children and adults compelling questions about how we want our world to be." -The Oregonian
"There are lessons for those of every age in this compelling adaptation." -Sarasota Magazine
|The Clemson Little Theatre||Pendleton||South Carolina||10/14/2022||10/23/2022|
|The Kentucky Center for the Arts, Moritz V. Bomhard Theatre||Louisville||Kentucky||1/23/2023||2/11/2023|
|Lakeshore Players Theatre||White Bear Lake||Minnesota||4/14/2023||4/23/2023|
|St James Performing Arts Auditorium||St James||Missouri||11/5/2022||11/5/2022|
|Lakeridge Middle School||Lake Oswego||Oregon||12/9/2022||12/17/2022|
|Lincoln County High School||Fayetteville||Tennessee||11/3/2022||11/5/2022|
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).