This charming entertainment demonstrates the amazing versatility of the greatest playwright in the English language. "Neither age can whither him nor custom stale his infinite variety." The show is bookended by the hysterical antics of the rustics from A Midsummer Night's Dream, with a delightful journey through mistaken identity, murder, love and war in between. The company of actors presents a dazzling display of comedy and pathos with some of Shakespeare's most famous characters (Romeo, Juliet, Hamlet, Puck, Cleopatra, Portia, Bottom, Richard III, Henry V, Malvolio, etc.) and some of his less-seen characters such as Joan of Arc, the infant princess Elizabeth, the three witches and the hilarious clown, Launce, with his dog, Crab. Extended and alternate scenes are provided so the play can be performed as a full evening or as a shorter version (carefully noted in the text). It is devised to be played by men or women in all the roles—so all your actors can be accommodated. This clever tour de force is a wonderful way to introduce your actors and audience to the marvelous world of William Shakespeare and is a full-course meal for Shakespearean veterans. Approximate running time: 90 minutes (versions running 60 minutes or 35 minutes are also possible).
Livestream and Record & Stream Rights Available
To review some frequently asked questions about streaming, please click here.
To apply for livestream or record & stream rights, please complete this form.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code MF4000
- Cast Size 6
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 60 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages) | Senior Adults
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | TYA | Senior Theatre | Touring Group | Dinner Theatre
- Genre Comedy | Drama | Tragedy
- ISBN(13) 978158345435
- "We did the one and one-half hour version and had a wonderful experience. It is very adaptable to individual needs. The actors all now feel comfortable with Shakespeare and the audiences were enthralled, many experiencing him for the first time. Full houses, too."
- Review by Katherine Bacon-Tishner, Broome Community College, Binghampton, N.Y.
- "This is a great introduction to Shakespeare for both the audience and the actors. It is nice that the script is customizable to the group presenting. The actors really had fun with this one."
- Review by Ricki Marking-Camuto, West County Y.M.C.A., Chesterfield, Mo.
- "An excellent vehicle for teens and adults to stretch their Shakespearean muscles."
- Review by Lorna Stratton, ICHTHYS Theatre Productions, Brantford, Ontario, Canada
- "A lively and eclectic assemblage of Shakespeare's work. An excellent introduction to the Bard, his language and a number of his most notorious and delightful characters."
- Review by Daniel Haley, University of Montana, Missoula, Mont.