On the eve of the 500th anniversary of the battle of Bosworth Field, a court has been convened in the Halls of Eternity. Richard III, the so-called "most infamous king in history," is the defendant. The questions? Is Richard truly deserving of his evil reputation or has he been the victim of a Tudor smear campaign? The prosecutors are History and Rumor, while Richard stands in his own defense with only Charity to counsel him. Venerable Time himself sits in judgment, and the audience becomes the jury. Witnesses such as Thomas Moore and William Shakespeare are called to testify, and several scenes of the Bard's Richard III are enacted by The Royal Shakespeare Company as evidence in the trial. Is Richard guilty of the murders of the Little Princes in the Tower? Did he really kill his own brother, the Duke of Clarence, or Buckingham, Henry VI, Edward of Lancaster or even Anne, his own wife? Is Richard III innocent? Only the jury—the audience—can decide. The play has a double ending (sentence or pardon) as the jury decides which it will be.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code F39000
- Cast Size 15
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $8.95
- Approx. Run Time 70 min
- ISBN(13) 9780871294623
- "This is a great play with a large cast. It provides opportunities for many supporting characters to shine as well as including a fascinating lead role."
- Review by Connor Warner, Stevensville Public Schools, Stevensville, Mont.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Be sure to work with gallery members on their reactions/behavior as they watch the events unfold. Their acting, while not on center stage, can make or break the performance."
- Tip by Connor Warner, Stevensville Public Schools, Stevensville, Mont.