This dramatic adaptation, sprinkled with comedic commentary, is a winner for elementary, middle, and early high school. Shakespeare's Scottish tragedy is told within a lively and humorous story-theatre frame. Macbeth and his Lady covet the crown while witches, ghosts, kings and soldiers sweep across the landscape, carving out the battle between good and evil. Shakespeare characters speak the Bard's words, while storytellers fill in plot and comment wryly on the escalating action. Macbeth to Witches: "How now, you secret, black and midnight hags." Storyteller to audience: "He sure knows how to talk to girls." The storytellers' caution at play's end: "Watch out what you ask for...and be careful who you hang out with."
Livestream and Record & Stream Rights Available
To review some frequently asked questions about streaming, please click here.
To apply for livestream or record & stream rights, please complete this form.
- Type of Show One-act Play
- Product Code MB8000
- Cast Size 15
- Min. Royalty Rate $50/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 45 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | TYA
- Genre Comedy | Drama | Melodrama | Satire
- ISBN(13) 9780871299482
- "What a fun way to give students and audience a taste of Shakespeare! The play was easy to stage yet challenging enough for my experienced seniors. One of the best one-acts we've done."
- Review by Drama Director, Lytton Community School District, Rockwell City, Iowa
- "This was an excellent play to introduce young actors and audiences to Shakespeare. It gave me many "teaching" moments during rehearsals!"
- Review by Judd Rinsema, Timothy Christian Middle School, Elmhurst, Ill.
- "A good play both instructs and entertains. The cast loved it! The audience loved it! The teachers and administrators loved it! This was a wonderful experience for everyone. There was a role for everyone who auditionedÑtheatre students, ROTC cadets, athletes. A combination of Monty Python and classical Shakespeare."
- Review by Louise Mann, Martinsburg High School, Martinsburg, W.V.
- "This was a riotous, rambunctious production with plenty of action and Shakespearean drama."
- Review by Virginia DuBois, St. Anthony Middle School, St. Anthony, Minn.
- "A fun and funny play which was also educational. Lots of room for adaptation and ad-libbing. Many teachers said it was their favorite school play in years."
- Review by Jennifer Whelpley, Hackett Middle School, Albany, N.Y.
- "Engaging for audiences of all agesÑa great introduction to the bard."
- Review by Jan Lee, Stagenorth, Washburn, Wis.
- "This concise treatment, framed by spirited storytellers, is a perfect combination of enhancement of the story and preservation of Shakespeare's most elegant passages. It plays terrifically to children and adults alike; we had 2-year-olds and college kids in awe. I love that the inner story is not made comic; it preserves the dark beauty of the play."
- Review by Marilyn Bennett, Annie Wright School, Tacoma, Wash.
- "Macbeth proved to be an excellent choice for our group of inexperienced kids. There was plenty of action for our sword-fighting boys and authentic language for our students interested in a true Shakespearean experience. Plus, there were lots of laughs for everyone. We got a standing ovation."
- Review by Jody Best, Kids Community Theater, Confluence, Pa.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Macduff and Macbeth chose to do a non-traditional, slow-motion, "matrix" style swordfight sceneÑand stole the show!"
- Tip by Jennifer Whelpley, Hackett Middle School, Albany, N.Y.
- "Keep it simpleÑcostumes, sets, props."
- Tip by Jan Lee, Stagenorth, Washburn, Wis.
- "We hired a college student as fight choreographer (they are cheap), and she conducted about six sessions. The kids felt so honored, and the fights were excellent. We dressed the three storytellers in referee shirts; they sat in director's chairs. The audience loved that aspect."
- Tip by Marilyn Bennett, Annie Wright School, Tacoma, Wash.
|Hopkinton Middle School||Contoocook||New Hampshire||6/8/2023||6/8/2023|