It begins after lunch on Melissa’s phone. Someone she doesn’t know is texting her looking for a drug hook-up. Soon, seven very different high-school kids are getting bizarre texts from numbers they don’t recognize—budding romances, bitter rivalries, even violent threats. What’s going on? And what if it’s not people connecting with other people via their phones … but phones trying to connect with other phones via their people? A one-act digital mystery for the mind and heart of the savvy texter.
Digital Script and Livestream Rights AvailableContact our customer service department to order or for more information.
Director's Notes for Performing Online
Ghosts in the Machine was written to be performed live (like, you know, we used to). However, due to the monologue and tech-nature of the show, it can work well in Zoom or other online formats. If performing it online, just assume everyone is speaking into their phones (video) either to each other or the audience. Feel free to adjust dialogue as needed to accommodate the idea of everyone connecting online instead of in person, including making the final “showdown” at the school take place in the past tense (i.e., before COVID-19), if desired. Have fun! Make some magic!
- Type of Show One-act Play
- Product Code GD9000
- Cast Size 7
- Min. Royalty Rate $50/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 40 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult
- Performing Group Middle School | High School
- Genre Comedy | Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781619592124
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).