This play captures the skylarking spirit of Fielding's comic masterpiece, and it's a hit with high schools, colleges and stock. It's set simply in drapes with a few props. Young Tom Jones, foundling and ward of Squire Allworthy, is deeply in love with Sophia and she with him, but her father has arranged for her to marry the Squire's sneaky nephew (and heir), young Blifil. The romance is discovered, Tom is banished and Sophia, with her maid, Honour, sets out to find him. They are followed by Sophia's father, his sister, Squire Allworthy and Blifil. All find madcap adventures on the road to London and meet with many strange characters. The amusing and unexpected solution to their problems captures all the laugh-a-minute hilarity for which Tom Jones is famous.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code T36000
- Cast Size 24
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 90 min
- Target Audience High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | Touring Group
- Genre Comedy
- ISBN(13) 9780871293268
- "A great first play to do for a new director to a new high school. So flexible when it comes to sets and costumes. I've done the show both ways. Sets and costumes are beautiful, but the acting really shines when the show is done with platforms, only a few set pieces and costumes of long black orchestra skirts, black pants and white shirts and blouses."
- Review by John Gibson, Central High School, Omaha, NE
- "A very usable and beginner-friendly adaptation of the novel. Excellent dialogue and witty exchanges between characters. This gave my mainly inexperienced cast a chance to add polish and sophistication to their delivery, without demanding too much from them. One of your best!"
- Review by Margo Benedetto, Centralia High School, Centralia, Wash.
- "Our production of Tom Jones was a wonderful success. We played to full houses and standing ovations each performance. Our student actors, all 23 of them, loved doing this show."
- Review by Rosann Weeks, Dream Chasers, Inc., White Horse Beach, Mass.
- "This is a very well written, high-spirited comedy. We love its flexibility with regard to sets. We are using smaller antique furniture and basic stage drapery. The students love the characters."
- Review by Susan Seychelle, Port Hardy Secondary School, Port Hardy, British Columbia, Canada
- "A wild and wonderful romp through Merry Old England! A cleverly-crafted audience pleaser! Every part is a gem!"
- Review by Joanne Fox, Mahwah High School, Mahwah, N.J.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "We are using faster light changes to indicate different settings, e. g. Allworthy's "house" on stage right, to a small garden scene at stage left to Partridge's "perches" on either side of the stage."
- Tip by Susan Seychelle, Port Hardy Secondary School, Port Hardy, British Columbia, Canada