This title is highly restricted. Rights may not be readily available in your area. Please allow additional processing time.It has come to our attention that some issues exist within the scores for A Christmas Story, the Musical. In particular, please note that in song #7, “What a Mother Does,” measures 141-144 are missing within the Full Score and individual orchestral parts; however, they are notated correctly within the Piano/Vocal and Vocal parts. To address this issue and/or any other discrepancies, we suggest you compare the Full Score with the Piano/Vocal as you tailor the music for your production.
Due to the complexity of the music for this title, we do not currently have a time frame for making the necessary corrections. We apologize for the inconvenience.
CHINESE RESTAURANT: To cut the scene from the Chinese restaurant, follow these instructions starting at the top of page 127:
THE OLD MAN. All right … Let’s get our coats. We are going out to eat.
(Lights dim. Underscore #19: “A Christmas Story.”)
[Cut to bottom of page 128.]
(As lights come up to half.)
JEAN. That Christmas would live in our memories as the Christmas when we were introduced to a Christmas duck.
(#19: “A Christmas Story”)
(Lights up full on THE PARKERS as they consider the craziness of this particular holiday season.)
THE OLD MAN & MOTHER. IT’S A BIG SUCCESS
[Cut to the top of page 130. Continue the song, cutting directions that mention eating, as THE PARKERS move toward home.]
Visit the Official Site for A Christmas Story, The Musical NOW AVAILABLE!
Rehearsal and Performance Tools
Show|Ready: Customizable rehearsal tracks of your show, complete with individual vocal parts.
Stage|Tracks: Quality performance tracks to greatly enhance your production. Click here to learn more.
Director's Script and Logo Pack
Our 8.5x11 Director’s Script and downloadable Logo Pack will make producing your show a breeze!
Click here to learn more.
- Type of Show Musical
- Product Code CD2000
- Cast Size 25
- Min. Royalty Rate $135/perf
- Cost $12.95
- Approx. Run Time 120 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages) | Senior Adults
- Performing Group Community Theatre | Professional Theatre
- Genre Comedy
- ISBN(13) 9781583424087
- "The show was great, actually easier to produce than I thought it would be. The audiences loved it, and the cast members did as well."
- Review by Glen Carpenter, Stansbury High School, Stansbury Park, Utah
- "This is the second time we have produced this show and both productions were amazing! It is a holiday treat for audiences as well as for the performers!"
- Review by Larry Johnson, Magic Valley Repertory Theatre, Filer, Idaho
- "We absolutely loved putting up this re-imagined classic. The music is so fun and allowed us to showcase our youth of all ages. Our only concern with this title is the Chinese Restaurant scene and the heightened sensitivity to cultural stereotypes."
- Review by Tina Crandall-Gommel, MT Ed, Rochester, N.Y.
- "We enjoyed this production so much - very moving and entertaining - and the audience loved it too!"
- Review by Stacey Bresee, Masquers Theater, Soap Lake, Wash.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "In a small space with limited wing space, we utilized an upstage elevated platform that we could hide furniture underneath. the platform served as the boys bedroom and Santa's mountain. we even added a slide to the platform!"
- Tip by Tina Crandall-Gommel, MT Ed, Rochester, N.Y.
Media Reviews"A true gift! A sparkling adaptation with a surefire charmer of a score." -New York magazine
"I was dazzled." -The New York Times
"Joyous! … A musical that dares mess with one of the most popular Christmas movies of all time and yet manages not only to do the film justice, but top it. … Its a charming triumph of imagination." -Associated Press
|Horton Grand Theatre||San Diego||California||11/25/2022||12/30/2022|
|Seacoast Repertory Theatre||Portsmouth||New Hampshire||11/17/2022||12/23/2022|
|Little Theatre of Wilkes-Barre||Wilkes-Barre||Pennsylvania||12/9/2022||12/18/2022|
|Music Showcase Theatre||Brandon||Florida||12/9/2022||12/18/2022|
|Theatre 8:15||North Canton||Ohio||11/4/2022||11/19/2022|
|Opera House Players||Elkader||Iowa||12/2/2022||12/11/2022|
|The Maryland Theatre||Haegrstown||Maryland||12/3/2022||12/4/2022|
|Community Players Theatre||Beatrice||Nebraska||12/2/2022||12/11/2022|
|SCERA Center for the Arts||Orem||Utah||12/2/2022||12/17/2022|
|Algonquin Arts Theatre||Manasquan||New Jersey||12/3/2022||12/18/2022|
|Theatre Alliance||Winston-Salem||North Carolina||12/9/2022||12/18/2022|
|Redhouse Arts Center||Syracuse||New York||12/9/2022||12/18/2022|
|Chickasha Community Theatre||Chickasha||Oklahoma||12/15/2022||12/18/2022|
|Midland Center For The Arts||MIDLAND||Michigan||12/2/2022||12/11/2022|
|Booth Tarkington Civic Theatre||Carmel||Indiana||12/2/2022||12/24/2022|
|John W. Engeman Theater||Northport||New York||11/17/2022||1/1/2023|
|Axiom Repertory Theatre||Redding||California||12/9/2022||12/28/2022|
|Tredyffrin-easttown Middle School||Berwyn||Pennsylvania||12/1/2022||12/3/2022|
|Desert Stages Theatre||Scottsdale||Arizona||11/18/2022||12/18/2022|
|Central Wyoming College||Riverton||Wyoming||12/1/2022||12/4/2022|
|The Belmont Theatre||York||Pennsylvania||11/17/2022||11/27/2022|
|Arts Center Of Coastal Carolina||Hilton Head Island||South Carolina||12/7/2022||12/31/2022|
|The Columbiana Cultural Collective||Columbiana||Ohio||11/19/2022||12/4/2022|
|University High School Theatre||Spokane||Washington||12/1/2022||12/10/2022|