Our downloadable Logo Pack will make promoting your show a breeze!
Click here to learn more.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code CA9000
- Cast Size 11
- Min. Royalty Rate $105/perf
- Cost $11.95
- Approx. Run Time 120 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group High School | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre
- Genre Comedy
- ISBN(13) 9781583420317
- "This is an amazing script. The stage directions are complex but necessary to the success of a production so full of humor and critical timing. The audience loved the show and said, "It's got everything in it we expected from the movie...and more." They loved it. Thank you for providing such an excellent script. It's a work of art!"
- Review by Jeffrey Emmerich, College of the Albemarle, Elizabeth City, N.C.
- "This play had broad appeal and because of the way it closely followed the movie, audiences loved it! Our narrator was closely interwoven into each scene which worked extremely well! Bravo!"
- Review by Debbie Bell, South Carolina Children's Theatre, Greenville, S.C.
- "We had sell out audiences for all shows. Several people said they enjoyed the play even more than the movie."
- Review by Dixie Belcher, Sapulpa Community Theatre, Sapulpa, Okla.
- "Nicely written, conforms well to Jean Shepherd's original stories. Thank you for including info on how to get the leg lamp."
- Review by Toni Neri, Somerset Valley Players, Somerville, N.J.
- "Very successful adaptation of the beloved movie -- our audiences loved it and the run sold out."
- Review by Linda Thayer, Good Company Players, Fresno, Calif.
- "Has all the fun of the movie. The top grossing play in the last ten years."
- Review by Pat Kardas, Racine Theater Guild, Racine, Wis.
- "A Christmas Story gave our theatre an opportunity to use a mix of young and old volunteers to provide a wonderful holiday production. This play lends itself to creativity."
- Review by Mary Joe Holewa, Troup Theatre, St. Cloud, Minn.
- "What a delight. Very true to the original movie. The cowboy monologue was hilarious. I still get requests to do it."
- Review by Phil Johnson, Greater Escambia Council for the Arts, Brewton, Ala.
- "A Christmas Storyhas become a much-anticipated part of our holiday production rotation. It holds closely to the original stories of Jean Shepherd and, of course, the classic film. An excellent show with which to begin the season."
- Review by Joseph Ferreira, KP Drama & GAPS, Wrentham, Mass.
- "Audience liked the play version better than film ... Especially liked size of cast and the flow of the storyÑadult Ralph's inclusion in and out of story was fun; parents' scenes were excellent."
- Review by Heide Fagan, River Theater Company, Charlestown, N.H.
- "The play version has captured every moment of the movie. Audiences were quoting lines right along with the actors. We'll do the show again soon."
- Review by Deborah Baldwin, PACE, Columbia, Mo.
- "Great play! [It] was a smash hit. Thanks for including the leg-lamp site as a link on your website."
- Review by Carrie Gerrard, Lake Stevens High School, Lake Stevens, Wash.
- "An extraordinary show! It drew people in who had never been to our theatre before. The cast had a great time and compliments abounded. It was the perfect show for our group!"
- Review by Jane N. Bostian, Wapello High School, Wapello, Iowa
- "The script for A Christmas Story is whimsical and witty, blending excellent writing with exceptional humor. I knew what was coming, but I laughed every time. I haven't enjoyed a play this much since I was a daffodil in kindergarten."
- Review by Kathy Aldrich, Angola High School, Angola, Ind.
- "A Christmas Story was a wild success and became the most successful play in our company's 75-hear history!"
- Review by Scott RC Levy, Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- "I thoroughly fell in love with the show. This version is quite meaningful. It plays well."
- Review by Van Kaplan, Executive Producer, Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "The show is prop heavy, so be sure to gather up your props early in the process. We also ordered the leg lamp online (full size). It was expensive, so we sold raffle tickets during intermission and raffled it off during the final performance. "
- Tip by Keli Solomon, Sherman Players, Sherman, Conn.
- "Make sure you have allowed for an individual prop person."
- Tip by Mary Joe Holewa, Troup Theatre, St. Cloud, Minn.
- "Order the leg lamp. It's so important."
- Tip by Phil Johnson, Greater Escambia Council for the Arts, Brewton, Ala.
- "If you can substitute a revolve for the swinging fence/wall, you create greater opportunities for creative scene changes, especially on smaller stages."
- Tip by Joseph Ferreira, KP Drama & GAPS, Wrentham, Mass.
- "We produced this play on a small stage where you cannot build a true two-story setÑdon't be intimidatedÑthere are great creative solutions to the scenery."
- Tip by Katie Simons, Corinth Theatre Arts, Corinth, Miss.
- "The props are tricky. Start collecting/making them early on."
- Tip by Erika Nguyen, Chance Theater, Orange, Calif.
"A Christmas Story is still ... one of the more enchanting ways to be transported to a world beyond our own. Yet it also serves to remind us how lucky we are to live a culturally rich life ... and Philip Grecian's thoughtful stage adaptation preserves the old ... references." —Plain Dealer
"Classics bloom quickly in modern times ... you don't have to have grown up with 9-year-old Ralphie Parker and his ache for an air rifle under the tree to think of A Christmas Story as a Christmas must. And [this] version is just as kindly and just as cockeyed as A Christmas Story is meant to be." —Orlando Sentinel
"Grecian's script retains Shepherd's wry, tongue-in-cheek humor." —Orange County Register
|Rosebud Opera House||Rosebud||Alberta||11/8/2019||12/22/2019|
|Thomaston Opera House||Thomaston||Connecticut||12/7/2019||12/7/2019|
|Amelia Community Theatre||Fernandina Beach||Florida||12/6/2019||12/21/2019|
|Town and Country Players Theater||Buckingham||Pennsylvania||11/8/2019||11/24/2019|
|The Island Theater||Fleming Island||Florida||12/13/2019||12/22/2019|
|Newnan Theatre Company||Newnan||Georgia||12/5/2019||12/15/2019|
|Rockwall Community Playhouse||Rockwall||Texas||11/22/2019||12/8/2019|
|Von Braun Center Playhouse||Huntsville||Alabama||11/15/2019||11/21/2019|
|The Art Centre Theatre||Plano||Texas||12/6/2019||12/21/2019|
|Village of Orland Park||Orland Park||Illinois||12/1/2019||12/15/2019|
|Village Square Theatre||Lexington||South Carolina||12/6/2019||12/15/2019|
|Richardson Theatre Centre Inc.||Richardson||Texas||12/6/2019||12/22/2019|
|Lower Ossington Theatre||Toronto||Ontario||11/8/2019||12/29/2019|
|Paramount Theatre||Goldsboro||North Carolina||12/13/2019||12/15/2019|
|Aiken Community Theatre||Aiken||South Carolina||12/5/2019||12/14/2019|
|Ti-Ahwaga Community Players||Owego||New York||12/6/2019||12/15/2019|
|Playhouse 51 Community Theatre||Millington||Tennessee||11/8/2019||11/17/2019|
|Picketwire Center for Performing and Visual Arts||La Junta||Colorado||12/12/2019||12/14/2019|
|Whitley County High School||Williamsburg||Kentucky||12/12/2019||12/14/2019|
|Billings Studio Theatre Inc||Billings||Montana||11/28/2019||12/15/2019|
|Northern Michigan University||Marquette||Michigan||12/11/2019||12/15/2019|
|Paul D Schreiber HS||Port Washington||New York||11/21/2019||11/24/2019|
|Cleveland Play House||Cleveland||Ohio||11/29/2019||12/23/2019|
|The Braumart Theater||Iron Mountain||Michigan||11/22/2019||11/24/2019|
|San Luis Obispo Repertory Theatre||San Luis Obispo||California||12/6/2019||12/22/2019|
|Palmerton Area Hs||Palmerton||Pennsylvania||12/5/2019||12/7/2019|
|The Grand Opera House||Dubuque||Iowa||11/29/2019||12/8/2019|
|Shanghai American School - Puxi Campus||Shanghai||11/21/2019||11/22/2019|
|Maury County Arts Guild||Columbia||Tennessee||12/5/2019||12/8/2019|
|Mountain Pointe High School||Phoenix||Arizona||12/6/2019||12/7/2019|
|Brockville Theatre Guild||Brockville||Ontario||11/14/2019||11/16/2019|
|Desert Stages Theatre||Scottsdale||Arizona||11/29/2019||12/22/2019|
|St. Petersburg Catholic High School||St. Petersburg||Florida||12/13/2019||12/14/2019|
|Mount Markham High School||West Winfield||New York||12/6/2019||12/7/2019|
|The Merc Playhouse Society||Twisp||Washington||12/6/2019||12/7/2019|
|Central Florida Community Arts||Orlando||Florida||11/22/2019||12/15/2019|
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).