This play is unusual in every way—in subject matter, manner of presentation, and the way in which it seems to move from "performance to reality." It takes place on the bare stage of your high school auditorium. In Scene 1, a group of actors begin rehearsing the play. The play they are presenting is loosely based on actual experiments in a Connecticut high school in which students, teachers and parents met for sessions in a human relations group called a "Here and Now" meeting. As the actors work on the play, their identification with the characters becomes stronger, and as the confusions and tensions of their parts surface, their own hang-ups emerge, too. Finally, the characters, the actors and the audience will learn that they are not alone with the pressures and confusions young adults, teachers and parents face today.
Livestream and Record & Stream Rights Available
To review some frequently asked questions about streaming, please click here.
To apply for livestream or record & stream rights, please complete this form.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code H16000
- Cast Size 16
- Min. Royalty Rate $85/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 95 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Touring Group
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871295385
- "Here and Now, in the simplest manner, is a modern adaptation of The Breakfast Club. It takes characters and shows their different layers, making them face the reality of who they are. Student actors are challenged by being themselves at the start of the play and morphing into a fully detailed character by Scenes 3 and 4."
- Review by Jared Grigsby, Hebron High School, Hebron, Ind.