In this gender-bending historical action drama based on her book Memoirs of a Soldier, Nurse, and Spy: A Woman's Adventures in the Union Army, Emma Edmonds enlists as Frank Thompson and serves as a male nurse, then a spy and finally a soldier. Emma was one of more than 400 women who posed as men to fight in the Civil War. Originally from Canada, Emma ran from an abusive father and lived in Michigan as a man, selling books door to door for a trade. Her disguise as Frank leads her into complicated relationships with Nellie, a captured Rebel woman, and Billy, her tent mate. Emma is a deeply religious woman and serves as an assistant to Chaplain Brady, who is the first to detect her secret. Frank is promoted by General Poe and defended against Simpson, a drunken camp mate who suspects her secret, in a "don't ask, don't tell" moment that speaks clearly to the complexities of today's gender-fluid culture. The final life and death actions of the play give a Shakespearean feel to the story, one clearly found in Emma's memoir. The action and battle scenes are interspersed with waiting women singing macabre poems of the day (also found in Emma's book) in an odd juxtaposition of hymn and paean to war. Emma's abolitionist convictions drive her into the war, but, while there, she faces and accepts her own gender identity.
Livestream and Record & Stream Rights Available
To review some frequently asked questions about streaming, please click here.
To apply for livestream or record & stream rights, please complete this form.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code MQ4000
- Cast Size 11
- Min. Royalty Rate $90/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 80 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages) | Senior Adults
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781619591141
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).