Charlotte Chorpenning has taken the Grimm Brothers' story and given it a poetic beauty that brings a value to its young audience. Her treatment of the stepmother does not accent the cruelty—an outlook important today. The evil witch is portrayed as a comedy character, but the teaching value is there—teaching through a comedy device rather than fear. Hansel and Gretel's safe return to their father and mother gives the child a sense of security.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code H58000
- Cast Size 11
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 90 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | TYA
- Genre Comedy
- ISBN(13) 9780871290748
- "This Hansel and Gretel is a lively adaptation that offers many unique staging opportunities. There are places to include music and dance in the story line. While basically traditional, it has unique characters to take a story everyone knows and make it interesting."
- Review by Christi Nicholson, Round Lake Area Park District, Round Lake, Ill.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "One of the challenges of this show is the changing settings. We used flats with trees painted on them so they could be rearranged to quickly suggest different places in the woods."
- Tip by Christi Nicholson, Round Lake Area Park District, Round Lake, Ill.