The play tells the story of nine orphans on an "orphan train" that left New York City on May 28, 1914. The train travels to Midwestern towns in search of homes, any homes, anywhere for the orphaned and unwanted children. There's Mary, Evie, spunky Pegeen, Annie and Little Lucy, a quiet one. Other orphans include Frank (who later becomes Frankie, a small girl), Raymond, Lucky and Danny the song-and-dance boy. And there are the men and women hoping for children. The lonesome whistle wails as the train chugs between encounters of anxiety, laughter, wistfulness, rejection and acceptance. Eight stories unfold, each a memorable surprise. The Orphan Train is a charming heart-warmer and all we expect from one of legendary playwrights for children, Aurand Harris. The staging creates a highly theatrical story, moving, amusing and always tellingly human.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code O82000
- Cast Size 11
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 65 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group College Theatre | Community Theatre | TYA | Touring Group
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781583427484
- "The play was well received by the audiences. Each young actor had a chance to become a character that was quite different from their personality. The adults had a chance to play several characters who had different personalities too. Good play to present."
- Review by Bill Gordon, Mid Michigan Family Theatre, Haslett, Mich.
|St. Paul Academy and Summit School||St. Paul||Minnesota||9/4/2018||10/27/2018|
|St Paul Academy and Summit School||St Paul||Minnesota||10/26/2018||10/26/2018|
|Cpt. Walter E. Clarke Middle School||El Paso||Texas||12/3/2018||12/3/2018|