This new dramatization of C.S. Lewis' classic, set in the land of Narnia, faithfully recreates the magic and mystery of Aslan, the great lion, his struggle with the White Witch, and the adventures of four children who inadvertently wander from an old wardrobe into the exciting, never-to-be-forgotten Narnia. The intense action features chases, duels and escapes as the witch is determined to keep Narnia in her possession and to end the reign of Aslan. All the memorable episodes from the story are represented in this exciting dramatization: the temptation of Edmund by the witch, the slaying of the evil wolf by Peter, the witnessing of Aslan's resurrection by Susan and Lucy, the crowing of the four new rulers of Narnia, and more. The supporting characters are also here: the unicorn, the centaur and other forest animals, along with Father Christmas, Mr. and Mrs. Beaver and Tumnus the Faun. This story of love, faith, courage and giving, with its triumph of good over evil, is a true celebration of life. Easily staged, the play may be presented without intermission or in two short acts if desired.
Our downloadable Logo Pack will make promoting your show a breeze!
Click here to learn more.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code L62000
- Cast Size 16
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 80 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | TYA
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871292650
- "It was a hit! In our small community, plays generally draw 400-500 people. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe's total attendance was over 750!! It was also the only play we've done that received a standing ovation. Kids enjoyed the colorful creative characters; adults enjoyed the Christian allegory."
- Review by Lauri Lillibridge, Sheboygan Falls High School, Sheboygan Falls, WI
- "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was a tremendous success for the Clemson Area Youth Theatre. Each performance was a sellout -- SRO! Adults and children alike were captivated by the magic of this show."
- Review by Karen Dillard, The Clemson Little Theatre, Pendleton, SC
- "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was a perfect play for our middle school. A classic with a Christian message, it was well received by our community. I especially appreciated the close connection between the book and the dramatization -- very few changes."
- Review by Cindy Detrow, Central Christian School, Kidron, OH
- "Wardrobe is a magical script. It definitely does justice to the classic novel. What a wonderful way to pass on this fantastic story to your kids."
- Review by Scott Buchanan, Arts Council of Conejo Valley, Thousand Oaks, CA
- "The play was wonderful. Very easy to stage, and the text was delightful. It was a real crowd pleaser."
- Review by Scott Wall, Our Town Players, South Haven, MI
- "Exciting play to produce. A great hit with teachers at the middle schools. We had sold out performances for our school matinees. The high school students really enjoyed bringing to life familiar characters from their childhood."
- Review by Linda Jackson, Irvington High School, Fremont, CA
- "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a wonderful story. The author has done an excellent job of telling the entire story in such a short play. The play is exciting and intriguing for all ages. It was a great success."
- Review by Kathy Hecox, Weatherford College, Weatherford, TX
- "Awesome play for offering good parts to students 8-21 years of age. All my students are rabid fans of the book and were extremely excited to bring these beloved characters to life on stage!!"
- Review by Carol-Ann Black, Showbiz Kidz/Showbiz Starz, Allen Park, Mich.
- "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a beautiful story and this adaptation is wonderful. It allows for creativity and ease of production. I work in a Christian school and we were able to perform this piece of great literature as well as study its allegorical nature."
- Review by Kim Howard, Legacy Enrichment, Burleson, Texas
- "We had a blast producing this show! The actors had fun and the student audiences were constantly involved. They laughed, cheered and seemed genuinely moved in places."
- Review by Dana McAfee, Warsaw Community High School, Warsaw, Ind.
- "The cast and crew loved working on this production. There are so many things you can do with it. It actually brought people, new actors, to my program. A fabulous family show."
- Review by Pamela Delph, Peoria High School, Peoria, Ariz.
- "The play is beautifully adapted from the book and affords actors of all ages (in our production 8 years to 18) a chance to share in its lovely story. Audiences 'of all ages' sat in rapt attention throughout the performance. It proved to be our most successful show in five years!"
- Review by Harvey G. Cocks, Fort Wayne Youtheatre, Inc., Fort Wayne, Ind.
- "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a wonderful and expressively written adaptation of C. S. Lewis' classic tale of Narnia! The show enables young and more seasoned student actors to collaborate as ensemble, developing strongly written characters that play well to audiences of all ages."
- Review by Maureen Bernstein, Desert Pines High School, Las Vegas, Nev.
- "Our middle school students had a wonderful experience with this play. They were able to be creative with the characters, including coming up with great "voices," and enjoyed creating "animal" stage makeup."
- Review by Peggy Myers, Harper Creek Community Schools, Battle Creek, Mich.
- "This was a neat script that allowed for a free-range of creative interpretation. The adaptation remained loyal enough to the themes and spirit of the original story while leaving room for artistic vision in a small space. Our performances were sold-out successes with a demand for more. Thank you."
- Review by Julie Aiken, York Little Theatre, York, Pa.
- "A tremendous success: six well-attended performances, one sold-out matinee for fifth graders. A terrific costume show; lots of good roles. Great opportunities for FX* lighting. * special effects"
- Review by Kathleen Harris, Deering High School, Portland, Maine
- "We felt it was a great show for the young and the young-at-heart. It showed family unity and morals of right and wrong. Dialogue was very good, and the simple scenes were still very believable."
- Review by Martha Bangert, Jacksonville Theatre Guild, Jacksonville, Ill.
- "An excellent adaptation of the classic novel. The script flows nicely and is relatively easy to stage. The kids loved it!"
- Review by Nate Campbell, Badger Ridge Middle School, Verona, Wis.
- "The play was a smash hit with young and old alike. The children had a blast becoming these wonderfully witty and wisdom-filled animals on a quest to have good always prevail over evil!"
- Review by Janet Daigle, Pelham Community Theatre and Arts, Pelham, N.H.
- "We were complimented on the script, and people could not stop raving about the flow of the play. This is a testimony to the high caliber of Dramatic Publishing scripts."
- Review by Daniela Deuel, Encore! Theatre, Albuquerque, N.M.
- "Our company thoroughly enjoyed The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and adored the reactions and feedback from the young audience members. The colourful and zaney characters of Mr. and Mrs. Beaver, the Dwarf and Tumnus highlighted the magic of Narnia for all age groups."
- Review by Megan Mackenzie, Be Scene Theatre, Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Try to be as true to the original story as possible in regards to costumes, sets and propsÑC. S. Lewis fans are like Harry Potter fansÑthe book is like a Bible!!"
- Tip by Carol-Ann Black, Showbiz Kidz/Showbiz Starz, Allen Park, Mich.
- "It was helpful to use artificial Christmas trees for the forest."
- Tip by Brenda Taylor, Warner Robins Middle School, Warner Robins, Ga.
- "We kept the set very simple with the back of the wardrobe on stage at all times. One of the things I did to incorporate more children was to add mice to the Aslan death scene. Worked well for youngest of children."
- Tip by Harriet Rejala, Evergreen Playhouse Community Theatre, Centralia, Wash.
- "We had a unit "forest" set and added simple pieces to the stage to denote the different locations. Our fight scene was incredibleÑwe had a huge chorus of villains and "good guys" fighting in slow motion!"
- Tip by Carol-Ann Black, Showbiz Kids/ShowBiz Starz, Allen Park, Mich.
- "This show's epic quality can be preserved by putting most of your effort into costumes and makeup. It is well worth the money to hire a professional stage combat professional."
- Tip by C.J. Barr, Albert College, Belleville, Ontario, Canada
- "Christmas trees were very effective in creating the set. Wood nymphs (as suggested) were a great way of producing scene changes without a curtain."
- Tip by Maranda Knepp, Wayside Christian School, Bucyrus, Ohio
|Pit and Balcony Theatre||Saginaw||Michigan||12/1/2017||12/10/2017|
|Town and Country Players Theater||Doylestown||Pennsylvania||11/17/2017||12/2/2017|
|Academy of Community Theatre||Colorado Springs||Colorado||10/26/2017||11/5/2017|
|Butterfield Stage Players||Gainesville||Texas||12/7/2017||12/17/2017|
|Midland Center for the Arts||Midland||Michigan||3/22/2018||3/25/2018|
|Waterfront Theatre||Vancouver||British Columbia||11/22/2017||12/30/2017|
|Peoria Center for the Performing Arts||Peoria||Arizona||1/12/2018||1/28/2018|
|Columbus Children's Theatre (CCT)||Columbus||Ohio||3/28/2018||4/22/2018|
|Peterborough Theatre Guild||Peterborough||Ontario||12/6/2017||12/13/2017|
|Mitchell Performing Arts Center||Bryn Athyn||Pennsylvania||11/30/2017||12/2/2017|
|Jurupa Hills High||Fontana||California||11/10/2017||11/18/2017|
|The Carriage House Theater||Hartford||Connecticut||10/18/2017||10/28/2017|
|Jackson Liberty High School||Jackson||New Jersey||11/17/2017||11/18/2017|
|Playhouse Downtown||Hendersonville||North Carolina||10/26/2018||11/4/2018|
|The Chippewa Theater Guild||Sault Ste. Marie||Michigan||11/9/2017||11/12/2017|
|John Champe High School||Aldie||Virginia||11/16/2017||11/18/2017|
|Center Stage Theatre||Austin||Texas||3/25/2018||5/1/2018|
|Elizabeth Davis Middle||Chester||Virginia||11/17/2017||11/19/2017|
|Cedar Park Christian School-Mill Creek||Everett||Washington||11/30/2017||12/2/2017|
|Actors' Playhouse||Coral Gables||Florida||11/28/2017||12/23/2017|
|Broadway Theatre||De Pere||Wisconsin||5/31/2018||6/2/2018|
|JSerra Catholic High School||San Juan Capistrano||California||11/2/2017||11/4/2017|
|Market House Theatre||Paducah||Kentucky||12/7/2017||12/17/2017|
|The Barn Theater||Porterville||California||12/1/2017||12/16/2017|
|Orem Jr High||Orem||Utah||11/7/2017||11/13/2017|
|Colorado Springs Charter Academy||Colorado Springs||Colorado||10/27/2017||11/4/2017|
|Keith Valley Ms||Horsham||Pennsylvania||11/16/2017||11/19/2017|
|Cleburne Conference Center Theater||Cleburne||Texas||12/1/2017||12/10/2017|
|Tomball H S||Tomball||Texas||11/9/2017||11/13/2017|
|St. Peter's Episcopal Church||Greenville||South Carolina||11/9/2017||11/11/2017|
|Brooklyn Friends School||Brooklyn||New York||2/9/2018||2/10/2018|
|Francis Baptist Church||Palatka||Florida||2/16/2018||2/17/2018|
|Church St. Auditorium||McKinney||Texas||11/9/2017||11/10/2017|
|Clackamas High School||Clackamas||Oregon||5/9/2018||5/18/2018|
|Cape Henlopen High School||Lewes||Delaware||12/8/2017||12/10/2017|
|Shadow Ridge High School||Surprise||Arizona||12/1/2017||12/2/2017|
|Southern Illinois University-Carbondale||Carbondale||Illinois||11/30/2017||12/3/2017|
|Wawasee High School||Syracuse||Indiana||11/17/2017||11/18/2017|
|Meridian High School||Macon||Illinois||11/17/2017||11/18/2017|
|Centers for the Arts Bonita Springs - Moe Auditorium||Bonita Springs||Florida||11/17/2017||11/19/2017|
|Berean Christian School||Knoxville||Tennessee||10/26/2017||10/27/2017|
|Southfield Christian School||Southfield||Michigan||11/3/2017||11/4/2017|
|Black Mountain Elementary School||Scottsdale||Arizona||11/2/2017||11/3/2017|
|First United Methodist Church||Colorado Springs||Colorado||12/1/2017||12/1/2017|
|St. Gregory's University||Shawnee||Oklahoma||11/16/2017||11/19/2017|
|The Braumart Theater||Iron Mountain||Michigan||12/21/2017||12/23/2017|
|Performing Arts Center at the Shelton House||Waynesville||North Carolina||12/9/2017||12/10/2017|
|Westside High School||Jonesboro||Arkansas||11/3/2017||11/4/2017|
|Genesis Children's Theatre||Plano||Texas||8/31/2017||11/11/2017|
|Zion Christian Academy||Columbia||Tennessee||2/3/2018||2/5/2018|
|Belgrade High School||Belgrade||Montana||2/2/2018||2/10/2018|
|Shelbyville High School||Shelbyville||Illinois||11/3/2017||11/5/2017|
|Ivy Hawn Charter School Of The Arts||Lake Helen||Florida||11/3/2017||11/5/2017|
|Black Hills Community Theatre (BHCT)||Rapid City||South Dakota||12/8/2017||12/10/2017|
|Lloyd C Bird High||Chesterfield||Virginia||11/2/2017||11/4/2017|
|Applied Learning Acad||Fort Worth||Texas||12/13/2017||12/14/2017|
|Stowe High School||Stowe||Vermont||11/10/2017||11/12/2017|
|Abbotsford Christian School||Abbotsford||British Columbia||2/1/2018||2/10/2018|
|Cape Henlopen High School||Lewes||Delaware||12/8/2017||12/10/2017|
|St. Vincent Pallotti High School||Laurel||Maryland||11/10/2017||11/12/2017|
|Camp Verde High School||Camp Verde||Arizona||10/27/2017||11/3/2017|
|Demopolis High Sch||Demopolis||Alabama||11/9/2017||11/12/2017|
|Ward Center Theater||Lutherville-Timonium||Maryland||2/23/2018||3/1/2018|
|St Gregory the Great School||Whittier||California||11/16/2017||11/18/2017|
|Davie County High||Mocksville||North Carolina||11/16/2017||11/18/2017|
|Stafford High School Theater||Fredericksburg||Virginia||12/1/2017||12/9/2017|
|Westfield Middle School||Westfield||Indiana||3/1/2018||3/3/2018|
|Rim Of The World Senior High||Lake Arrowhead||California||11/9/2017||11/19/2017|
|Garber High School||Essexville||Michigan||11/2/2017||11/5/2017|
|Mid-prairie High School||Wellman||Iowa||11/3/2017||11/5/2017|
|Central Christian School||Kidron||Ohio||11/3/2017||11/4/2017|
|Rushford-Peterson Senior High||Rushford||Minnesota||11/10/2017||11/12/2017|
|Westbury High School||Houston||Texas||11/10/2017||11/11/2017|
|Swanson Middle School||Arlington||Virginia||4/28/2018||4/29/2018|
|Clear Spring High School||Clear Spring||Maryland||12/1/2017||12/2/2017|
|Christian Academy of Madison||Madison||Indiana||4/13/2018||4/14/2018|
|Elk Plain School Of Choice||Spanaway||Washington||11/16/2017||11/18/2017|
|Clairemont High||San Diego||California||12/1/2017||12/9/2017|
|Washington Christian Academy||Olney||Maryland||12/1/2017||12/2/2017|
|Master Arts Theatre||Grand Rapids||Michigan||11/15/2018||12/8/2018|
|Old Creamery Theatre||Amana||Iowa||11/24/2018||12/15/2018|
|Lancaster 1st Assembly Church||Lancaster||Pennsylvania||3/16/2018||3/17/2018|
|New Minowa Players||Decorah||Iowa||1/18/2018||1/27/2018|
|Tuscarawas Valley High School||Zoarville||Ohio||12/15/2017||12/17/2017|
|Calvary Chapel Christian School||Moreno Valley||California||3/16/2018||3/17/2018|
|Cedar Park Middle School||Portland||Oregon||1/19/2018||1/20/2018|
|Maranatha Baptist University||Watertown||Wisconsin||1/19/2018||1/20/2018|
|The Forum Theater||Jonesboro||Arkansas||4/26/2018||4/26/2018|
|Ashbrook Independent School||Corvallis||Oregon||4/27/2018||4/29/2018|
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).