A mean witch dares a frilly little fairy to prove there's such a thing as happiness. So the fairy brings a scarecrow to life and promises to make him a real man if he can find happiness. It's a strange search, sometimes comical, sometimes sad. The scarecrow meets a variety of characters, each providing an insight into human relations as well as excellent roles for your actors and actresses. The scarecrow's search evokes a little smile, a little fright and perhaps a little tear. What is happiness? Philosophers have struggled with this question for centuries. But sometimes answers are found by simple people with humble aims. What could be simpler than a scarecrow? The Happy Scarecrow has been referred to as a delightful "morality play" about giving. It has become not only a popular contest play but also a favorite play for the Easter season because of its subtle hint of the Easter story. It is popular with churches as well as with theatre groups. However, just as the play's costumes and set are timeless, it can be performed in any month of the year. The play is intended for upper-elementary students or professional children's theatre.
Livestream and Record & Stream Rights Available
To review some frequently asked questions about streaming, please click here.
To apply for livestream or record & stream rights, please complete this form.
- Type of Show One-act Play
- Product Code HC9000
- Cast Size 11
- Min. Royalty Rate $40/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 30 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group Elementary School | Middle School | High School | Touring Group
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780886800772
- "Great show, great message and so easy to produce!! We had a blast and loved the rehearsal process. Our community loved the show and we placed at District!!! Dramatic Publishing is always easy to work with!"
- Review by Janet Walker, Crockett High School, Crockett, Texas
- "We performed the Happy Scarecrow for our district one act play contest. The students enjoyed producing the play. The scenes and script were easy to understand and convey. The students were engaged and embraced their characters."
- Review by Susan Vickers, Henrietta Junior High, Henrietta, Texas
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "DEFINITELY order the director edition. It was very helpful."
- Tip by Melissa Hansard, Henrietta Jr. High, Henrietta, Texas
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).