A Doctor in Spite of Himself is a two-act sharpened version of a charming French classic, adapted for today's producing groups. Sganarelle, a shiftless woodcutter, quarrels with his wife, Martine, who vows to get even with him. Her chance comes when she meets two servants in search of a doctor to cure their master's daughter. Martine recommends her husband in the most glowing terms, as a doctor who can perform miracles, but warns them that he will have to be beaten into it. Armed with slapsticks, the two men hail Sganarelle as a great doctor, whack him roundly whenever he attempts to deny it, and thus force him into becoming a doctor in spite of himself. Fortunately, the master's daughter is only shamming illness to avoid a distasteful marriage. When Sganarelle is able to unite her with her own true love, she is miraculously cured—and Dr. Sganarelle is richly rewarded.
Livestream Rights AvailableContact our customer service department for more information.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code DB6000
- Cast Size 19
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 60 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | TYA
- Genre Comedy
- ISBN(13) 9781583427590
- "A great adaptation to introduce audiences to 17th century commedia."
- Review by Laurie Levine, Kamiak High School ASB, Mukilteo, WA