A highly theatrical dramatization of a C.S. Lewis classic by America's most-produced children's playwright. Young Digory and his friend Polly, through the use of magic rings created by Digory's uncle, set forth on a series of magical adventures through mythical kingdoms and enchanted lands. In the travels, they encounter Queen Jadis and awaken her from her enchanted sleep, unleashing the power of evil. Attempting to acquire the healing apple for Digory's sick mother, the heroic children unintentionally bring Jadis' evil into Narnia, the new world which the great lion Aslan sings into existence. In this land of talking animals, there are miraculous happenings as good battles against evil and Digory struggles to return home to cure his ailing mother with the healing apple. This is a play that encompasses realism and fantasy, interesting characters, humor and lyrical beauty, excitement and suspense. The script lends itself to imaginative staging, either simple or elaborate, providing a memorable visit to C.S. Lewis' mythical kingdom with the great lion, the evil witch, the heroic children and the talking animals.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code M57000
- Cast Size 9
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 60 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871295415
- "Magician's Nephew was a joy to performÑmy cast thoroughly enjoyed it as did our five audiences. It was a good rendition of the book."
- Review by Judy Gonzalez, Delta College, University Center, Mich.
- "We like the use of richer language and poetry even though it is targeted at young audiences. There is lots of room for creativity and theatricality, even in a touring format."
- Review by Sissy Pulley, A. D. Players, Houston, Texas
- "I did this play with 5th graders. They loved the magical adventure and the interesting characters, and loved integrating dance movement into the production. It was popular with both my student actors and their student audiencesÑbeautifully written!"
- Review by Kate Burt, Greenwich Academy, Greenwich, Conn.
- "Magician's Nephew is a wonderfully accurate adaptation of C. S. Lewis' book. We particularly enjoyed the ability to use the underscoring provided by you!"
- Review by Darcy Blauvelt, Palace Youth Theatre, Manchester, N.H.
- "It was a great play for young actors! Challenging yet fun and full of adventure."
- Review by Richard J. Klassen, Candlewick Youth Players, La Riviere, Manitoba, Canada
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Music CD added a nice touch; strobe effective for travel between worlds."
- Tip by Robert Walton, The Christian Academy, Brookhaven, Pa.
- "We put the attic on one side of a revolving 5' X 12' platform and the queen's palace (several arches and a window) on the other side. This enabled us to change the scenes fairly quickly. We also used a smoke machine!"
- Tip by Ron Solomon, Make It Up As We Go Productions, Pearland, Texas
- "I suggest using "live" flowers, trees, fish, rivers, etc. during the creation of Narnia. Ours were very colorful and well choreographed. The strobe lights and music are very effective for travel between worlds."
- Tip by Kelly Loomis, Pinewood Christian Academy, Middleburg, Fla.
- "We used fog machines and colored spots which worked well for scene changes, especially the dead world."
- Tip by Rochelle Andrews, CFE Drama Troupe, Newark, Ohio
|Travis B Bryan H S||Bryan||Texas||10/17/2019||10/19/2019|