One of literature's most enduring classics is brought vividly to the stage in this exciting adventure of Mowgli, the Indian boy, raised by caring wolves, befriended by Bagheera, the Panther, and Baloo, the Bear, and threatened by Shere Kahn, the evil tiger. Also present are an array of other jungle creatures who inhabit this action-filled play. Interspersed with the Mowgli tale is the equally intriguing story of a young Rudyard Kipling, who is sent from his home in Bombay to a British boarding school where he encounters his own "jungle," including people—both good and otherwise—who parallel many of the animal characters he created. Filled with excitement and humor, the play highlights the struggle of good versus evil, the worth of friendship, and the importance of loyalty and other values required for surviving the "law of the jungle." While the very young audiences will delight in the portrayal of the animals and the fast paced action, older children will be fascinated by the character relations and the story itself, as well as the unique introduction to the author.
Our downloadable Logo Pack will make promoting your show a breeze!
Click here to learn more.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code J24000
- Cast Size 10
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 75 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | Family (all ages) | Senior Adults | Praise Groups
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | Praise Group | Dinner Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871295200
- "With its slant on Rudyard Kipling's private school experience integrated into the exotic jungle locales, this play sold out, appealing to the teacher's eye toward education and the child's sense of right and wrong and adventure."
- Review by Dennis Maulden, Vagabond School of Drama, Flat Rock, N.C.
- "Jungle Book was a wonderful experience for both cast and audience. Teachers also appreciated learning a bit about the author. Joseph Robinette is one of my favorite playwrights."
- Review by Marilyn Ludwig, Highland School, Downers Grove, Ill.
- "Fast moving, innovative telling of the well known children's story. The inclusion of young Rudyard gives a lovely opportunity for students to play different styles and physicalizations. Well received by audience."
- Review by Maureen Daly, Playhouse Community Theatre, Rocky Mount, N.C.
- "Fun! Fun! Fun! What a great way to treat this story. The parallel treatment of the human characters brings out the value of this great literary work."
- Review by Paul A. Orsett, Wakefield Theatre Company, Raleigh, N.C.
- "Audiences were howling with enthusiasm for this colorful adaptation of Rudyard Kipling's classic stories. Imaginative and adventurous, Mowgli's/Rudyard's tale is exciting for the whole family."
- Review by Julie Aiken, York Little Theatre, York, Pa.
- "What a great show! We liked how it goes back and forth from Victorian England, where Kipling is writing the story, to the jungle. There's adventure and humor. Nothing is too scary for the little ones!"
- Review by Ron Solomon, Make It Up As We Go Productions, Pearland, Texas
- "I loved the concept of the humans being the inspiration for the animal characters. This provides a challenge to the actors and creativity for all involved."
- Review by Dana McAfee, Warsaw Community High School, Warsaw, Ind.
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).