In 1926, radium was a miracle cure, Madame Curie an international celebrity, and luminous watches the latest rage—until the girls who painted them began to fall ill with a mysterious disease. Inspired by a true story, Radium Girls traces the efforts of Grace Fryer, a dial painter, as she fights for her day in court. Her chief adversary is her former employer, Arthur Roeder, an idealistic man who cannot bring himself to believe that the same element that shrinks tumors could have anything to do with the terrifying rash of illnesses among his employees. As the case goes on, however, Grace finds herself battling not just with the U.S. Radium Corporation, but with her own family and friends, who fear that her campaign for justice will backfire. Written with warmth and humor, Radium Girls is a fast-moving, highly theatrical ensemble piece for 9 to 10 actors, who play more than 30 parts—friends, co-workers, lovers, relatives, attorneys, scientists, consumer advocates, and myriad interested bystanders. Called a "powerful" and "engrossing" drama by critics, Radium Girls offers a wry, unflinching look at the peculiarly American obsessions with health, wealth, and the commercialization of science.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code R72000
- Cast Size 9
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 130 min
- Target Audience High School | College and Adult
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781583421901
- "Radium Girls provides a compelling story and great opportunities for character study and research. The actors took their responsibility as storytellers quite seriously and the audience was moved and intrigued by this point in history. A great choice for our school audience and actors. "
- Review by Emily Blackburn, The Overlake School, Redmond, Wash.
- "Very well received by our audiences and a great acting challenge for my students. I must tell you of our success in presenting Radium Girls at a high school theatre awards event. We won Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, and Best Featured Performer; and I know a great deal of the success was due to the quality of the play itself!"
- Review by Jacklyn Keagy, Dover Area High School, Dover, Pa.
- "Though historical in nature, the play provokes an audience to consider the implications of American consumerism and the corporate "bottom line" mentality. Our production elicited laughter, tears and gasps of dismay, which speaks highly of the script's resonance with a contemporary audience. The play is a great vehicle for developing strong ensemble acting from a group of committed actors. We cast 20 actors to play the nearly 40 characters."
- Review by Mike Solomonson, Northland Pioneer College, Holbrook, Ariz.
- "Radium Girls was one of the best shows we could have chosen to train our actors in serious dramatic roles. We were able to convey an important social message to our audience without being heavy-handed because of the intricacies and detail of the script."
- Review by Drama Director, James W. Robinson, Jr. Secondary, Fairfax, Va.
- "Radium Girls is a beautifully constructed and moving play. This show is a wonderful vehicle for actors of all levels; the roles are challenging and performers must work to the best of their abilities to bring them to life. Audiences were moved and left speechless as the house lights came up. Parents commented that this is a great show for students as they must research and work with such mature material."
- Review by Joey Chavez, Santa Fe High School, Santa Fe, N.M.
- "An amazing show that blows the audience away. Although it is challenging to perform, the content and message are worth exploring."
- Review by Lisa Bodden, St. Gregory School, Tucson, Ariz.
- "Powerful drama with a wide range of roles and flexible casting options."
- Review by Jarrod Townsend, Williams Field High School, Gilbert, Ariz.
- "Incredible script and an important story to tell. Staging can be as easy or creative as you wish. Roles are all well characterized."
- Review by Lori Zyla, Parkersburg High School, Parkersburg, W. Va.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Although the script may read as written for a proscenium stage, it worked very well using a thrust stage which allowed for visual variety with numerous places to enter and exit. The play can be staged quite nicely with a minimal amount of furniture and a diverse lighting design."
- Tip by Mike Solomonson, Northland Pioneer College, Holbrook, Ariz.
- "Keeping it simple made it more effective. The story tells itself without extensive props and scenery. We used black background curtains onlyÑvery effective."
- Tip by Leanne Wright, Heppner High School, Heppner, Ore.
- "Look for the glow-in-the-dark face paint early and try it out. Good makeup makes for an awesome effect."
- Tip by Lisa Bodden, St. Gregory School, Tucson, Ariz.
Media Reviews"Radium Girls may speak to our collective capacity for denial. But it also celebrates our individual courage." -The Daily Record
"A compelling new drama...the playwright lays out the facts with historical accuracy, descriptive simplicity and graphic candor. " -Variety
"The best new play in New Jersey professional theatre." -The Star-Ledger
|Theatre of Western Springs||Western Springs||Illinois||2/8/2018||2/18/2018|
|Tamaqua Area District Auditorium||Tamaqua||Pennsylvania||11/17/2017||11/18/2017|
|Park Tudor School||Indianapolis||Indiana||11/4/2017||11/5/2017|
|De Soto High School||De Soto||Missouri||11/2/2017||11/4/2017|
|Rome Community Theater||Rome||New York||12/7/2017||12/10/2017|
|Rome Community Theater||Rome||New York||12/7/2017||12/10/2017|
|Hoffman Estates High School||Hoffman Estates||Illinois||11/9/2017||11/11/2017|
|Jenison Center for the Arts||Jenison||Michigan||11/15/2017||11/19/2017|
|Gorham High School||Gorham||Maine||11/17/2017||11/19/2017|
|Fossil Ridge High School||Fort Collins||Colorado||11/16/2017||11/18/2017|
|Stevenson School||Pebble Beach||California||11/9/2017||11/11/2017|
|Theater of the Performing Arts - Black Box Theater||Hartford||Connecticut||11/9/2017||11/18/2017|
|Junipero Serra High School||San Mateo||California||10/20/2017||10/28/2017|
|MATCH Box 3||Houston||Texas||1/12/2018||1/13/2018|
|Community College of Denver||Denver||Colorado||11/30/2017||12/9/2017|
|The Theater Project||Brunswick||Maine||3/15/2018||3/25/2018|
|Grove City Area Hs||Grove City||Pennsylvania||11/16/2017||11/18/2017|
|Fort Zumwalt South High School||St Peters||Missouri||10/26/2017||10/28/2017|
|Eric Borel Bovet Theatre||Hillsborough||California||11/2/2017||11/4/2017|
|Raleigh Charter High School||Raleigh||North Carolina||11/2/2017||11/5/2017|
|Lancaster Mennonite School||Lancaster||Pennsylvania||10/26/2017||10/28/2017|
|Western Oregon University||Monmouth||Oregon||11/9/2017||11/18/2017|
|Cienega High School||Vail||Arizona||10/25/2017||10/28/2017|
|St. Francis Borgia Regional High School Theater||Washington||Missouri||1/25/2018||1/27/2018|
|Kamiakin High School||Kennewick||Washington||2/9/2018||2/17/2018|
|Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy||La Canada Flintridge||California||11/9/2017||11/11/2017|
|Park View High||Sterling||Virginia||10/26/2017||10/28/2017|
|Notre Dame Preparatory High School||Scottsdale||Arizona||10/27/2017||10/28/2017|
|Wayne Valley High School||Wayne||New Jersey||11/16/2017||11/18/2017|
|Tawas Area Middle School||Tawas City||Michigan||11/3/2017||11/12/2017|
|Dutch Fork High||Irmo||South Carolina||10/26/2017||10/29/2017|
|Southern Regional High School||Manahawkin||New Jersey||11/1/2017||11/2/2017|
|Downingtown Hs West Campus||Downingtown||Pennsylvania||12/1/2017||12/2/2017|
|Mill Creek High School||Hoschton||Georgia||10/4/2017||11/4/2017|
|Arrowhead High School||Hartland||Wisconsin||2/8/2018||2/10/2018|
|Phoenixville Area Hs||Phoenixville||Pennsylvania||11/17/2017||11/19/2017|
|Blue Earth Area Senior High||Blue Earth||Minnesota||11/17/2017||11/18/2017|
|Westside Christian High School||Tigard||Oregon||11/3/2017||11/5/2017|
|Marcelle Theater||St. Louis||Missouri||11/2/2017||11/3/2017|
|Archbishop McNicholas High School||Cincinnati||Ohio||11/9/2017||11/12/2017|
|Tigard High School||Tigard||Oregon||11/16/2017||11/18/2017|
|Ossining High School||Ossining||New York||11/1/2017||11/4/2017|
|The Cambridge School of Weston||Weston||Massachusetts||10/26/2017||10/28/2017|
|Gabrielino High||San Gabriel||California||11/17/2017||11/19/2017|
|Marion L Steele High School Cafetorium||Amherst||Ohio||11/9/2017||11/18/2017|
|Colonial Forge High||Stafford||Virginia||11/16/2017||11/18/2017|
|Crosby High School||Waterbury||Connecticut||11/10/2017||11/11/2017|
|Vernon Hills High School||Vernon Hills||Illinois||4/19/2018||4/21/2018|
|Lakeshore High School||Mandeville||Louisiana||10/19/2017||10/28/2017|
|Hill City High School||Hill City||South Dakota||11/16/2017||11/18/2017|
|Hart Public School District||Hart||Michigan||12/8/2017||12/10/2017|