Livestream and Record & Stream Rights Available
To review some frequently asked questions about streaming, please click here.
To apply for livestream or record & stream rights, please complete this form.
- Type of Show One-act Play
- Product Code O29000
- Cast Size 7
- Min. Royalty Rate $45/perf
- Cost $8.95
- Approx. Run Time 40 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | TYA | Touring Group
- Genre Comedy
- ISBN(13) 9780871294913
- "A cute show for a wide range of ages. Lots of room for imagination and creativity. "
- Review by Kathy Holsworth, Pensacola Little Theatre, Pensacola, Fla.
- "We toured this play to an elementary school and performed for K-2, and then to a preschool and performed for ages 3-5. The response was incredible! The kids clapped, cheered, ooh'ed and ah'ed throughout! Even the parents who watched were laughing!"
- Review by Michelle Backel, Lyman High School, Longwood, FL
- "Really fun to stage. The cast had fun rummaging through costume pieces and props to create each of the characters they played. Library audience saw the show and loved it! A great experience all around."
- Review by Nancy Kotarski, Avon Drama Shop, Avon, IN
- "It's a great play with familiar characters, but a different twist! We performed it with a large cast of 3rd, 4th and 5th graders and added underlying musical themes for transitions."
- Review by Sharon Sanderson, Peshtigo School District, Peshtigo, WI
- "Once Upon a Shoe is a delightful tale that my actors loved. The audience loved it as well. Being able to change characters during the play added a challenge that my students needed!"
- Review by Janey L. Merschman, ISD #162 Junior High Drama Club, Bagley, MN
- "Wonderful show for pre-K students."
- Review by Katherine Alexander, Berkmar High School, Lilburn, Ga.
- "Once Upon a Shoe was produced at a Christmas Concert along with the school's three bands performing. The show was a tremendous hit, especially the portion about "The House that Jack Built." Blocking was a hilarious time and watching cast members trying not to lose their concentration, added to our mirth. The line by the cat, "That worries me!" was made into a catch phrase by the entire school."
- Review by Hester Gibson, New Germany Rural High School, New Germany, Nova Scotia, Canada
- "We really like this. It gives a lot of kids the chance to try acting in a very easy-going setting. Plus it was a real crowd pleaser! Even kids who weren't talkers had a great experience of the theater."
- Review by Donna Carver, Seymour I.S.D. High School, Seymour, Texas
- "Wonderful ensemble work. Professional production consultant added that extra shine. The magic was realized. Fourteen inexperienced kids put on as professional a show as you could hope to see. All ages loved it!"
- Review by Espanola Little Theatre, Sharon Sproule, Espanola, Ontario, Canada
- "This play is a great choice for young actors. Not only is the production entertaining, but it also kept our young actors entertained throughout rehearsals. Because the children were familiar with the nursery rhymes, it was easy for them to learn their lines and act out their parts. This production was a hit with our audience."
- Review by Rebecca Holley, Lubbock Home School Association, Lubbock, Texas
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "We loved building the big shoe. It was practical built of frame, foam, covered with fabric and paint. the shoe laces were thin pipe insulation (like pool noodles), grommets made of paper plates. We didn't do the playground equipment, but had a variety of chairs and stools made of wire spools with giant flowers for the cushions. Bright colors, quick changes with props."
- Tip by Kathy Holsworth, Pensacola Little Theatre, Pensacola, Fla.
- "Let the cast work each section playfully and then weave all the parts together. Improvisation allowed thoughts to flow at will. I had a large cast and be careful when double casting that there is time to "change." Simple noses and ear pieces created all the animals easily."
- Tip by Hester Gibson, New Germany Rural High School, New Germany, Nova Scotia, Canada