Mother Hicks is an evocative story, richly realized through all of the resources of theatre including poetry, character and story. The setting includes various locations in and around Ware, Illinois, in the late spring of 1935 during the Great Depression. This play is about three outsiders—a foundling girl known only as Girl; a deaf boy, eloquent in the language of his silence; and an eccentric recluse, Mother Hicks, who is suspected of being a witch. The tale, told with poetry and sign language, chronicles the journeys of these three to find themselves, and each other, in a troubled time.
Livestream and Record & Stream Rights Available
To review some frequently asked questions about streaming, please click here.
To apply for livestream or record & stream rights, please complete this form.
If producing the Ware trilogy, the playwright recommends the plays be presented in this order: Mother Hicks, A Taste of Sunrise and The Edge of Peace.
This title may be cut for time only if Act One and/ or Act Two are done in their entirety. No other cuttings are allowed.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code MK4000
- Cast Size 8
- Min. Royalty Rate $110/perf
- Cost $11.95
- Approx. Run Time 90 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages) | Senior Adults
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | TYA | Touring Group
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781583427361
- "The play was wonderful ... the stories told in them are deep and timeless. "
- Review by Michael Eudy, The Stage Company, Carbondale, Ill.