The Emperor's New Clothes is a play in two acts based on the tale by Hans Christian Andersen as retold in Japan most delightfully and faithfully in the fashion of the Kabuki or Noh drama. Made thoroughly and appropriately Japanese, the beloved tale of the emperor is spiritedly brought to life and given further perspective in the Island Empire of Japan. Cynical courtiers and idealistic rogues act out their destiny to everyone's recognition and laughter. The result is an Oriental tapestry of theatrical pleasures.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code E65000
- Cast Size 12
- Min. Royalty Rate $65/perf
- Cost $8.95
- Approx. Run Time 55 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | TYA
- Genre Comedy
- "Our production of Judith Kases's adaptation of this classic tale was extremely well received. We had so much fun with the Kabuki style and the kids learned a great deal. We also worked cross curricularly with the art teacher to have students produce Japanese artwork to decorate our auditorium."
- Review by Robert Randall, Providence After School All., Providence, RI