This is a special 50-minute version of the play with a small tourable cast. The most enchanting characters are here: Wilbur, the irresistible young pig who desperately wants to avoid the butcher; Fern, a girl who understands what animals say to each other; Templeton, the gluttonous rat who can occasionally be talked into a good deed; and, most of all, the extraordinary spider, Charlotte, who proves to be “a true friend and a good writer.” Determined to save Wilbur, Charlotte begins her campaign with the "miracle" of her web in which she writes, "Some pig." It's the beginning of a victorious campaign which ultimately ends with the now-safe Wilbur doing what is most important to Charlotte. This is a beautiful, knowing play about friendship that will give your actors a great opportunity and your audience an evening of enchantment. The costumes and set may be simple or as colorful and elaborate as you wish; it's the story and relationships that make the show.
Livestream and Record & Stream Rights Available
To review some frequently asked questions about streaming, please click here.
To apply for livestream or record & stream rights, please complete this form.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code C63000
- Cast Size 6
- Min. Royalty Rate $115/perf
- Cost $12.95
- Approx. Run Time 50 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | Touring Group
- Genre Comedy | Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871293893
- "This was a great show for sharing with our youngest students in the school district. The parts are simple, yet challenging for physical creation by young actors."
- Review by Tonya Harper, Whitesboro High School Theatre, Whitesboro, Texas
- "Charlotte's Web (Touring version) is an ideal piece for High School students. It provides great opportunities for both advanced and inexperienced performers. This heart-warming adaptation is very faithful to the E.B. White novel. Not a dry eye in the house. Ideal for the high school drama festival circuit."
- Review by Shane MacMillan, Hampton High School, Hampton, New Brunswick
- "A nice family friendly show which is suited to small and large casts alike. It has gentle humour and pathos. Our cast was aged 10-21 and this was a good piece for them to tackle."
- Review by Chris Griffiths, Gelligaer YFC, Quakers Yard, United Kingdom
- "The students had a great time performing one of the most beloved stories from their elementary school days. We also were pleased to be able to invite elementary school children to view the production during the school day. It was also a great challenge for the actors to practice acting like animals!"
- Review by Zachary Kattwinkel, Old Donation School, Virginia Beach, Va.
- "Wonderful script/show. This is the third time we have done this show and it has always been a success with our actors and audiences. Perfect length for elementary-aged school children, and the integrity of the story loses nothing."
- Review by Lou Fazzini, All the World's a Stage, Clinton Township, MI
- "It was well received by all our audience. Perfect cast size and running length for a touring production. Also -- very popular title -- Great Sell for school groups."
- Review by Rob Adams, Dark Horse Theatre Co., Orefield, PA
- "A great vehicle for young adult actors and wonderful for community outreach."
- Review by Donna Burke, Glenbard North High School, Carol Stream, IL
- "We very much enjoyed producing this version of Charlotte's Web. Our students brought it to life in a matter of days. The narrators kept us properly advised of where we were in the plot."
- Review by Lori Willis, St. John's Church, Prince Frederick, Md.
- "Fantastic show -- funny, touching, sad, happy -- sold well."
- Review by Sara Pezza, Stage West, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
- "This show has become an annual event! Everyone (young and old) loves it!"
- Review by Gloria Doss, Fairhope Middle School, Fairhope, Ala.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Check to make sure that any hay you use doesn't leave strands EVERYWHERE the way ours did. And even though this version may have taken fifty minutes for a professional tour to perform it, my cast had to make some cuts. If you are thinking of having to cut the script, ask early!"
- Tip by Zachary Kattwinkel, Old Donation School, Virginia Beach, Va.
- "I used a video projector to display images of the web—by creating them on Power Point and projecting them onto a screen."
- Tip by Ellen Foster, William Saroyan Elementary, Fresno, Calif.
|Center For Puppetry Arts||Atlanta||Georgia||4/4/2023||5/28/2023|
|University of Minnesota-Morris||Morris||Minnesota||4/12/2023||4/18/2023|
|Lacomedia Dinner Theatre||Springboro||Ohio||4/11/2023||4/22/2023|
|Guatemala Academy of Performing Arts||Taylors||South Carolina||4/21/2023||4/22/2023|
|Aspen Academy (CO)||Greenwood Village||Colorado||5/11/2023||5/11/2023|
|Wentworth Junior High School||Calumet City||Illinois||4/24/2023||5/5/2023|
|Mt Rouge Farm||Roseland||Virginia||4/15/2023||4/30/2023|
|First Earth Farm||Bluff Dale||Texas||5/5/2023||5/28/2023|
|Jonas Clarke Middle||Lexington||Massachusetts||5/19/2023||5/20/2023|
|Columbia High||Columbia||North Carolina||5/12/2023||5/13/2023|
|Stevens Middle School||Pasco||Washington||5/12/2023||5/12/2023|
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).