This is the endearing classic about a mouse named Stuart Little who is born into an ordinary New York family. All the charm, wisdom and joy of the E.B. White original are captured in this adaptation by Joseph Robinette, who also dramatized the highly acclaimed stage version of Charlotte's Web. The many adventures—both big and small—of Stuart Little are brought vividly to life in this story theatre presentation. The acting ensemble plays many human and animal roles in a series of delightful scenes that make up the marvelous maneuverings of a mild-mannered mouse trying to survive in a "real people's world." Ease of staging along with flexible casting make Stuart Little perfect for small touring groups or for large-cast productions.
Our downloadable Logo Pack will make promoting your show a breeze!
Click here to learn more.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code S99000
- Cast Size 7
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 70 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre
- Genre Comedy | Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871291554
- "Easy to stage with many small parts to double or use to introduce young, new actors. True to the story with good fun!"
- Review by Linda Carpenter, Wisconsin Rapids Public Schools, Wisconsin Rapids, WI
- "Stuart Little is a charming adaptation of a wonderful children's story. School groups love it; audiences of all ages love it. I wish there were more story theatre pieces as well written as this."
- Review by Joanna Naumes, Seacoast Rep Youth Theatre, Portsmouth, NH
- "... A great script, a lot of fun for children to perform or watch. It's a very creative dramatization by Joseph Robinette."
- Review by Lisa Lincoln, El Dorado Children's Theatre, Santa Fe, NM
- "Nice flexibility in casting. Good production suggestions (boxes). Good choice for community theatre -- parts for all ages."
- Review by Roberta Weiner, Prana Productions, Holliston, MA
- "This tale with a "tail" was extremely delightful and this version worked really well with an all youth cast."
- Review by Production Manager, Orlando Repertory Theatre, Orlando, FL
- "Delightful version for the stage of a classic story for children! Very flexible stagingÑalways a plus."
- Review by Dr. Susan Steadman, Offshoot Productions, Peachtree City, Ga.
- "It was fabulous. The costuming was easy and the set was simple to create. The audience's imaginations were stimulated. Children were mesmerized."
- Review by Sharon Rubel, Christian Liberty Academy, Arlington Heights, Ill.
- "The wit of E. B. White was preserved and shone through. The suggested staging was particularly easy and flexible."
- Review by Ed Cornely, Cornely Productions, Sturbridge, Mass.
- "Stuart Little is a happy little fellow with a positive attitude towards life and its trials and tribulations. He meets each problem he finds with optimistic determination, and this comes through brilliantly in this play."
- Review by Kevin Appleby, Bunker Hill Middle School, Sewell, N.J.
- "I started Children's Theatre Company in 1996 with Stuart Little. My first recycled play this past summer was Stuart Little. What a great show for young actors who are looking for the challenge of playing multiple parts."
- Review by Tom Ostheimer, Children's Theatre Company, Williamstown, Mass.
- "Our sold-out houses of children of all ages were delighted with the show. Parents have commented on the validity of its strong messages for children."
- Review by Ron Jones, Lone Star College-Cy Fair, Cypress, Texas
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Practice rearranging boxes with cast. Can cause young actors great frustration."
- Tip by Ed Cornely, Cornely Productions, Sturbridge, Mass.
- "We used the blocks [suggested as props] to make the New York City skyline, a classroom board, a "fork" in the road and the pond (complete with fish). Eighteen-inch cubes work well for the large blocks. All the blocks were painted by the stage crew, grades 7 & 8. Our makeup was elaborate and fun for the kids to learn."
- Tip by Judy Kegler, Immaculate Conception School, East Aurora, N.Y.
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).