This new dramatization captures the charm and excitement of L.M. Montgomery's enduring classic about an orphan girl, Anne Shirley, from her first encounter with her austere guardian to her thrilling graduation from Queen's Academy. The play faithfully recreates the memorable events and characters from the brilliant novel. All the tragedies and triumphs that mark Anne's growth from adolescence to early adulthood are here: her friendship with Diana, her feuds with Gilbert, her adoration of Matthew, the mistaken wine bottle, the cake disaster, the broken leg, the scholastic achievements, and the saving of Green Gables. Whether the playgoer is an "old friend" of Anne's or meeting her for the first time, this play will solidify a lasting friendship between the audience and one of literature's most unforgettable characters. The flexibility of casting and the simplicity of the set make this an ideal production for community and school groups.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code A41000
- Cast Size 18
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 105 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871292421
- "Captured the heart of our audience -- they were excited to come and see it!"
- Review by Donna Mueller, Fatima High School, Westphalia, MO
- "We were looking for a positive work with strong female leads that could be handled by some advanced 9th grade students in one of our junior highs. We found that in "Anne" and a great story besides."
- Review by Bill Hansen, Lincoln High School, Manitowoc, WI
- "This was a play based on a very popular story, and it generated much excitement at our school. It was an excellent adaptation of the story, and was a tremendous hit with the audience."
- Review by David Harris, Des Moines Christian School, Des Moines, IA
- "We received wonderful comments! The kids really enjoyed doing this. A delightful story with some great roles. Our school family is still talking about it!"
- Review by Vicki, Heritage Christian School, Brooklyn, Ohio
- "Good strong family show. I used younger children for the first act and then double cast the second act with teens. The adults remained the same in both acts. I used 38 young people and 10 adults in the show. It was wild but wonderful."
- Review by Debra Collins Bailey, 1st Baptist Church Drama Ministry, Shawnee, Okla.
- "Very faithful to the novel, this adaptation of a classic was a hit with all our audienceÑstudents, parents, and friends."
- Review by Marilee Malott, Bethany Christian School, Sierra Madre, Calif.
- "Very good show for high school, especially when you have an overabundance of girls that audition. Gave a lot of new kids a chance for a part in the fall play."
- Review by Bob Howell, Illinois Valley Central High School, Chillicothe, Ill.
- "This is a great play to do with high school students! They really get into the characters because they're of similar ages."
- Review by Anji Straayer, Grand Rapids Baptist High School, Grand Rapids, Mich.
- "The set design as found in the playbook works extremely well. One teacher commented that it was the department's best play in twenty years because of the quick transitions from scene to scene. "Anne" was able to draw in many new fans in our community."
- Review by Drama Director, Byng Public School, Ada, Okla.
- "The play went off great! lt was a success, and everyone loved it. Anne of Green Gables is an enchanting story of a beautiful life and one of those plays that everyone loves, and laughter and enjoyment had are genuine."
- Review by Abigail Thorpe, Tehachapi Youth Theatre, Tehachapi, Calif.
- "Producing and directing Anne of Green Gables fulfilled a lifelong dream. Joseph Robinette's adaptation is very faithful to the book, and the sets and costumes were easy to design and construct. This is a great show for middle school as well as high school."
- Review by Carol Schmiedecke, Allendale Public Schools, Allendale, N.J.
- "Great showÑ"old-fashioned fun." Students had a great time and were challenged, too. Audiences loved the family show. Lots of praise for this wholesome show. It was our "Anne"'s first time on stage, and a star was born!"
- Review by Sheryl Lee, El Camino High School, Sacramento, Calif.
- "We had a sold-out audience both nightsÑthe play was a message of "kindred spirits" that touched the hearts of young and old alike."
- Review by Susan Dugas, Middletown Christian School, Middletown, Ohio
- "Anne of Green Gables is a wonderful, true-to-the-book adaptation that is a lot of fun for both audience and cast alike. The play is a good mix of fun and serious scenes that brought smiles, laughter and surprise along with a very heartwarming evening of family entertainment. I am sure many went home and read the book again."
- Review by Jeanne Finley, CHEST Homeschool Group, Sparta, Ill.
- "Excellent script and very true to the book. Very well received by our school matinee audiences. Was also appreciated by older audience members who grew up with the book as a child."
- Review by Wayne Marek, Eau Claire Children's Theatre, Eau Claire, Wis.
- "Anne is a lovely play. This version is well written and the characters are fully developed. This group of actors adapted well to the adult roles and the ability to add lots of extras (school children, townspeople, mourners, graduation ceremony guests) was helpful for our large cast."
- Review by Maureen Ghiossi, The King's Academy, Sunnyvale, Calif.
- "A beautifully written play! Wonderful roles for both males and females. A good mixture of dramatic and comedic moments. Scene changes by lighting worked extremely well and was very effective. A "director friendly" adaptation!"
- Review by Sherry Petrowski, Maryville High School, Maryville, Tenn.
- "This was a really delightful play to produce and direct. The story is engaging, full of fast, well-paced scenes and thoughtful, tender moments. A BIG hit with both the cast and audiences."
- Review by Tom Snell, Pacific Christian School, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
- "What an excellent dramatization of an iconic story. The story of the world's best-loved red-headed orphan is a delight and so true to the book."
- Review by Lorna Stratton, ICHTHYS Theatre Productions, Brantford, Ontario, Canada
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "I would suggest casting as many kids as possible. There are some parts that have very few lines, but there are some lines not assigned in the script to give out."
- Tip by Bob Howell, Illinois Valley Central High School, Chillicothe, Ill.
- "Double/triple cast characters to cut down on cast size and to give some actors a chance to appear on stage in more than one scene."
- Tip by Anji Straayer, Grand Rapids Baptist High School, Grand Rapids, Mich.
- "Order breakaway slates to be used for the slate broken over Gilbert's head. "Amazing Grace" works better for a funeral song."
- Tip by Drama Director, Byng Public School, Ada, Okla.
- "Keep it simple. Don't attempt to overcreate each setting. Concentrate on costumes to give the feel. Make transitions quick and subtle."
- Tip by Jim D'Attilio, Walpole High School, Walpole, Mass.
- "Putting shortening in the hair and then sprinkling on cornstarch makes great gray hair."
- Tip by Jeanne Finley, CHEST Homeschool Group, Sparta, Ill.
|Anacortes Community Theatre||Anacortes||Washington||11/24/2017||12/16/2017|
|Theatre Atchison Inc.||Atchison||Kansas||4/13/2018||4/22/2018|
|Matsqui Centennial Auditorium||Abbotsford||British Columbia||12/14/2017||12/16/2017|
|Olathe Civic Theatre Association||Olathe||Kansas||11/3/2017||11/19/2017|
|Anacortes Community Theatre||Anacortes||Washington||11/24/2017||12/16/2017|
|Life Way Christian School||Centerton||Arkansas||12/8/2017||12/9/2017|
|Forest Ridge School of the Sacred Heart||Bellevue||Washington||12/8/2017||12/9/2017|
|Eastern Nazarene College||Quincy||Massachusetts||4/19/2018||4/21/2018|
|Christian Heritage Academy||Northfield||Illinois||1/12/2018||1/13/2018|
|Rockwall Community Playhouse||Rockwall||Texas||3/30/2018||4/15/2018|
|Lighthouse Christian School||Twin Falls||Idaho||12/11/2017||12/11/2017|
|North Seattle College||Seattle||Washington||11/16/2017||11/19/2017|
|Arlington Children's Theatre||Arlington||Massachusetts||4/20/2018||4/20/2018|
|Charles Bender Theater||Humble||Texas||3/3/2018||3/3/2018|