This delightful, enchanting sequel to Anne of Green Gables continues the exciting adventures of one of literature's most enduring characters, Anne Shirley. From her first days as a young teacher to her departure for Redmond College, we are reacquainted with such old friends as Marilla Cuthbert, Rachel Lynde, Diana Barry and Gilbert Blythe. We also meet many new ones: a cantankerous neighbor, Mr. Harrison (and his offstage parrot!); the mysterious Miss Lavendar; the beguiling Charlotta the Fourth; the irrepressible twins, Dora and Davy; and Anne's lively, but (usually) lovable, high-spirited students. Rejoin Anne and enjoy the embarrassment of mistakenly selling Mr. Harrison's cow, the anxiety of her first day teaching school, the humorous essay-writing assignment, the plum marmalade incident, the encounter with Miss Lavendar, the devastating storm and its aftermath, and the wedding at Echo Lodge. There are also flashbacks to Anne's young life and how she came to live at Green Gables. Anne of Avonlea is ideal for junior highs, high schools and community theatres and is a true ensemble piece. This heartwarming and humorously uplifting play will be fondly remembered by audiences and performer alike long after the final curtain.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code A72000
- Cast Size 36
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 120 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre
- Genre Comedy | Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871297914
- "Excellent ensemble show with lots of small and medium size parts. The role of Anne as narrator is substantial, however."
- Review by Lorna Stratton, ICHTHYS Theatre, Brantford, Ontario
- "A well-adapted version of Anne of Avonlea that not only provided a simple staging of the book, but also presented a short reminder of the first book in the series, Anne of Green Gables, to our audience members who weren't familiar with the characters. The audience was swept into the story and allowed to remain engaged as the scenes weren't interrupted by large set changes."
- Review by Jeanette Hoeppner, Flatlands Theatre Company, Winkler, Manitoba
- "It is difficult to find a play that meets our requirements: enough parts for each of our 25-30 students to be on stage at least three times. What a treasure we found in Anne of Avonlea! Great story, fun parts, super easy staging, funny but not silly. A delight. The audience loved it."
- Review by Terry Dowden, Teen Team, El Paso, Ill.
- "Joseph Robinette's dramatization of this popular classic is beautifully and clearly crafted. Episodic nature of the script allows character diversity and development. An actor's and audience's delight!"
- Review by Jane Meier, Rundlett Middle School, Concord, N.H.
- "I loved how it could be staged so simply but still connect with the audience so effectively. It allows for some natural character development and relationships."
- Review by Dana McAfee, Warsaw Community High School, Warsaw, Ind.
|Heritage Middle School||LIvingston||New Jersey||12/14/2018||12/16/2018|