In the year 2081 everybody is finally equal. And if they're not, the Handicapper General equips them with devices to make sure they are. George Bergeron has to wear a heavy bag around his neck because he is too strong and has a mental disrupter earphone that blasts loud noises in his ear anytime he thinks too long. "That one sounded like a grand piano going off a cliff," he tells his wife, Hazel. She, on the other hand, is perfectly average, and that is why George loves her so. Unfortunately for the couple, they had a perfect son, who was taken by the government immediately. Hazel remembers fondly her Harrison but not for too long because she can only think in short bursts. George is afraid to think at all for fear of getting another ship's whistle blast in his ear. Full of eccentric characters, such as George, Hazel and ballerinas weighted down with bird shot, this wild tale is full of Vonnegutisms. And everybody is made equal. Or so says the Handicapper General.
- Type of Show One-act Play
- Product Code H66000
- Cast Size 7
- Min. Royalty Rate $50/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 30 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages) | Senior Adults
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Senior Theatre | Touring Group
- Genre Comedy
- ISBN(13) 9780871293459
- "We absolutely loved this play, even more than the original story! It gave us great characters to work with especially for a small cast. We had fun choosing costumes and creating handicapper devices. We brought the show to our Regional One Act Festival and two of our actors received awards for their performances and two of our techies received awards for their awesome handicapper device designs! "
- Review by Catherine Leavitt, Massabesic High School, Waterboro, Maine
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Having at least one real ballerina is very helpful to choreograph the dance numbers. In competition, some of the subtleties were lost to the judges, so make it as obvious as you can. "
- Tip by Catherine Leavitt, Massabesic High School, Waterboro, Maine
|Lewis County High School||Vanceburg||Kentucky||9/30/2023||10/7/2023|