Your audience will get into the act (as they do in The Rocky Horror Picture Show) in this hilarious comedy. King Dumb is ready for his daughter to select a husband and all the Knights of the Realm are anxious to claim her hand. But the sweet Princess Prince has fallen for a gentle yet courageous lad she assumes to be a pauper. Not so! Little does she know that this scruffy stranger is Swashbuck Valpariso, bearer of the magic sword and Master of Fast Feet. With audience participation throughout, the play will leave you breathless with anticipation, reckless with abandon and proud to be a Zobian.
Livestream and Record & Stream Rights Available
To review some frequently asked questions about streaming, please click here.
To apply for livestream or record & stream rights, please complete this form.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code C46000
- Cast Size 15
- Min. Royalty Rate $90/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 60 min
- Target Audience High School | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group High School | Community Theatre
- Genre Comedy
- ISBN(13) 9780871292292
- "The Clumsy Custard had everything a good high school play should have: good parts; easy, but effective effects; humor; a large flexible cast; and an appeal across ages."
- Review by Dee Masters, Bishop Montgomery High School, Torrance, CA
- "This full-length play is so much fun to direct. Lots of great parts for young actors. My students loved it and we had so much fun with sets and costumes."
- Review by Susan Solburg, Wakulla High School, Crawfordville, FL
- "Very well received! The high school students enjoyed it as much as the elementary students; adults laughed and enjoyed it as well. Everyone appreciated the humor and pratfalls. The play has many levels of meaning."
- Review by Phoebe Jackson, Bristow High School, Bristow, OK
- "One of the funniest, wackiest high school plays I've seen. Our audiences -- especially the young one -- loved it. It's an extraordinary teaching medium -- finely articulated characters, a melodramatic plot, comedic challenge for actors and immense costume and set design potential."
- Review by Michael Roberts, Pendleton County High School, Moyers, WV
- "Super quirky Phantom-Princess Bride combination. The students are loving it. The first drama production at this school in many years got lots of great comments from faculty and audience."
- Review by Lori Cressia, Armwood High School, Seffner, Fla.
- "An interactive, hilarious experience. Great material for students, we had a blast!"
- Review by Sara Tones, Killough Middle School, Houston, Texas
- "The Clumsy Custard Horror Show was a smashing success. It was a great choice for a spring play: light-hearted and fun for actors and audience members. I would highly recommend this play for production."
- Review by William Dawson, West High School, Waterloo, Iowa
- "I have directed this show several times in both college and high school. It was a sure-fire hit every time. The audiences love getting involved. Students at our high school are still talking about the show a year later."
- Review by Gail Howard, Poolesville High School, Poolesville, Md.
- "This is a fun ensemble cast and a good vehicle for training young actors in comedic timing and improvisationÑthe audience loved it."
- Review by Debbie Aisenbrey, Dakar Academy, Dakar, Senegal
- "What an amazing show! The students had a wonderful time; the audience loved being a part of the show and, as a director, it was a fun and bonding experience with my troupe. I liked the idea of one setÑdifferentiated by decorations. It worked out well."
- Review by Yogi Mueller, St. John Vianney School, Orlando, Fla.
- "The audience roaredÑthe cast shined in a play designed to involve allÑa night of great fun for everyone."
- Review by Mitch Travis, Elizabeth High School, Elizabeth, Colo.
- "Truly a fun and enjoyable piece! Our teens had a blast!"
- Review by Richard Klassen, Candlewick Productions, La Riviere, Manitoba, Canada
- "It was a treat to mount this production. Our school has grades six through twelve, and the students loved performing no matter what their age. We highly recommend this show."
- Review by Robert Orr, George Waters Middle School, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
- "This show was a delight to produce. If you have creative actors who want to embellish their characters with unique embellishments, and an audience that loves to interact with the cast, I highly recommend The Clumsy Custard Horror Show."
- Review by Buddy Garrison, Seminole High School, Sanford, Fla.
- "A hilarious adventure our students request to do over and over."
- Review by Richard Klassen, Candlewick Players, La Riviere, Manitoba, Canada
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "We used the audience a great deal with characters coming out of "no where.""
- Tip by Glenda Kale, East Mecklenburg HS, Charlotte, N.C.
- "Sets were very simple and hardly changed throughout. PillarsÑwhite on one side, black on the otherÑwere changed to create good and evil locations. All sound effects were live backstage sounds including a plunger for the Clumsy Custard."
- Tip by Jeanette Hoeppner, Oak Valley Productions, La Riviere, Manitoba, Canada
|Our Town Players||Franklin||Indiana||7/7/2023||7/16/2023|