This piece is the first play for young audiences to receive the Kennedy Center's Fund for New American Plays Award. Still Life with Iris is a fantastical adventure which centers on a little girl's search for the simplest of things: home. Iris lives with her mom in the land of Nocturno—a magical place in which the workers make, by night, all of the things we see in the world by day. Also, in Nocturno, memories do not reside in people's minds but instead are kept in their coats (called "Past Coats"). The rulers of Nocturno, the Great Goods, are determined to have the "best" of everything on their island—and therefore take Iris away from her home and bring her to Great Island to be their daughter. To ease the pain of this separation, they remove her Past Coat, leaving her with no memory of her home or her family. All that remains of Iris' past is a single button from her coat. Using the button as a clue, Iris joins with friends she meets on her journey—Annabel Lee (a young woman from the sea) and Mozart (the composer, age 11)—and frees herself from the Great Goods. She returns to Nocturno, having found her past, and her home.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code SG2000
- Cast Size 9
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 60 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781583426791
- "Still Life With Iris is a magical and fantastical play filled with imaginative and allegorical elements. Appealing to children and adults, Dietz takes us into the contrasting spheres of Nocturno and Great Island as Iris adventurously explores her place in the world."
- Review by Nancy Vitulli, Cranston High School West, Cranston, R.I.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Keep the set simple to allow for easy and fluid transitions from one setting to another. Allow time to develop the soundscape of the production that is driven by Mozart music."
- Tip by Nancy Vitulli, Cranston High School West, Cranston, R.I.
|Stage Werx Theatre||SF||California||3/16/2019||3/16/2019|