In 1980, Molly Rush, a Pittsburgh housewife and mother of six, walked into a G.E. plant in King of Prussia, Penn., and took a hammer to the nose cone of a nuclear warhead in protest of the buildup of our nuclear arsenal. She and her fellow activists, The Plowshares Eight, including Daniel and Philip Berrigan, went to trial to sound the alarm, and the world was pulled back from the brink of nuclear annihilation for the time being. Molly’s Hammer is the fictionalized story of these events, inspired by the book Hammer of Justice by Liane Ellison Norman. Told with humor and love through the competing narratives of Molly and her working-class husband, Bill, Molly’s Hammer shines a light on how the choice of ordinary people to take action is what is needed to save our world.
Livestream and Record & Stream Rights Available
To review some frequently asked questions about streaming, please click here.
To apply for livestream or record & stream rights, please complete this form.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code MQ7000
- Cast Size 3
- Min. Royalty Rate $90/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 90 min
- Target Audience High School | College and Adult | Senior Adults
- Performing Group College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781619591554
“A remarkable play that teaches you how to fear again in order to make you feel what's at risk if you don't take your chance to live.” —Riverfront Times
“Deep and thought-provoking. … Based on real life events.” —PLAYBACK:stl
“The main takeaways from the show are faith vs. fanaticism and the price of civil disobedience vs. accepting the societal norm of turning a blind eye.” —PLAYBACK:stl
“Molly and her hammer vs. the nose cone of a warhead is a perfect example of a very inspiring underdog.” —PLAYBACK:stl
“As someone who appreciates the beauty of dialogue, this show was a virtual buffet of delicious morsels.” —PLAYBACK:stl
“The story is fascinating … one I won’t forget for a very long time.” —PLAYBACK:stl
“Gripping drama. … Could not be more timely.” —Stage Left
“Deserves to be seen and debated.” —Stage Left
“[Tammy Ryan] does a solid job in showing the complexities of Molly Rush, a ‘normal’ citizen whose conscience helped make a difference in the world.” —Ladue News
“Ryan’s writing is sophisticated … enabling the audience to draw its own conclusions.” —Ladue News
“Molly’s Hammer succeeds in bringing clarity to the back story of one of the core members of the Plowshares Eight—everyday people who made a signature statement about a worldwide issue.” —Ladue News
“If we don't know our own history, we're surely doomed to repeat it. That makes Molly’s Hammer both special and important. It's a reminder that individuals can make a difference.” —Broadway World
“People who make a stand are becoming rarer and rarer to find. Maybe that's why a play like Tammy Ryan's Molly’s Hammer … is so important.” —Broadway World
“A quiet success, unleashing warmth and light and energy from an alternate Hollywood universe, and speaking of the darkest inhuman possibilities in the idealistic language of film romance.” —Alive Magazine
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).