"Last Lists of My Mad Mother is a hilarious, often touching look at the toll Alzheimer's disease takes on a parent-child relationship. It magnificently reveals the humor within the tragedy, without taking away from the seriousness of the issue." (The Record-Journal) Ma cares about ribbons and bows, intransitive verbs and keeping to her rigid schedule. Dot uses a wicked sense of humor to sort out the tangle of her mother's mind. Together they struggle with Ma's inevitable decline, while Sis phones in her advice from afar. In and out of the sinewy webs of Ma's fleeting awareness, retracing paths they have traveled countless times, Ma and Dot drive toward understanding and arrive with some sense of surprise at the destination of comfort. Commissioned by the Mark Taper Forum, this play was a winner of the Mill Mountain Theatre New Play Competition.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code L96000
- Cast Size 3
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 85 min
- Target Audience College and Adult | Senior Adults
- Performing Group College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | Senior Theatre | Touring Group
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781583420164
- "Once again the South Carolina Repertory Company is offering a fresh, contemporary, dramatic gem . . . The sensitive and timely subjects of senility and dementia are presented with warm, affectionate humor, without belittling the seriousness of the issue . . . The play simultaneously is solid theater and real life. Anyone who has lived through the mental decline of a parent can relate to the situation and can smile and remember that, yes, it was a funny, loving and caring time in spite of the fears, frustrations and fatigue."
- Review by Louise Causey Lewis, The Island Packet, Hilton Head Island, SC
- "Rarely does a play move an audience to laughter and tears within just a few lines -- this play does it again and again."
- Review by Jan Lee, StageNorth, Washburn, WI
- "What an amazing script! Excellent writing on a difficult subject. This play touched our cast and audiences deeply."
- Review by Lorna Stratton, ICHTHYS Theatre Productions, Brantford, Ontario, Canada
Media Reviews"Last Lists is among the best." -Variety
"Crisp, clean writing, sharply realized characters and a clear story line that leads to an emotional, inevitable but unsentimental conclusion...a tough and funny response to one of life's inescapable and defining moments. " -Journal Inquirer
"Put Mad Mother on your 'must see' list." -The Salt Lake Tribune