Tom, a foundling, is in love with beautiful Sophia. Although her father envies Tom's reputation as a daredevil and womanizer, he wouldn't consider letting his daughter marry such a scoundrel. The story of Tom's love for the beautiful Sophia; his everlasting feud with the despicable Allworthy heir, Blifil; the mad race to London, punctuated by the infamous night in the inn and the ill-fated masquerade ball are skillfully transferred to the stage in this dramatization. The History of Tom Jones is a vibrant, brisk play for adults and young adults. Although the play has strong farcical content, it also has elements of honest drama and romance. Fielding's novel has lived as a classic because of the author's perceptive analysis of human nature, with its inherent hypocrisy, selfishness, boorishness and indifference toward the welfare of others. These characteristics have been captured in the play. It is presented in a commedia-like fashion, as a troupe of players unload their trunks, dress each other and introduce their characters in story-theatre style.
Livestream and Record & Stream Rights Available
To review some frequently asked questions about streaming, please click here.
To apply for livestream or record & stream rights, please complete this form.
- Type of Show One-act Play
- Product Code HE1000
- Cast Size 35
- Min. Royalty Rate $40/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 35 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre
- Genre Comedy | Farce
- ISBN(13) 9780886802707
- "Great ensemble show. Love that it still holds up after all these years. So funny and a great opportunity for character development and creativity in staging!"
- Review by Chantal High Yardley, Beaumont Composite HS, Beaumont, Alberta, Canada