This drama is a spine-tingling tale of a boy and his worst fears in the swamp—eventually overcome by Wiley himself. Set deep within the mysterious Tombigbee Swamp, Wiley and the Hairy Man centers around a young fatherless boy, his conjure-woman mother, his faithful dog, and the Hairy Man who haunts Wiley's days and dreams. Through rhythm and rhyme, a chorus creates the mystery of the swamp. The magic of this play is not fairy dust, it is soil—the magic of survival, the magic of the earth and the mud of the swamp. In an exciting duel of wits, Wiley learns to rely upon his own resources and conquers two villains: the Hairy Man and his own fear.
Livestream and Record & Stream Rights Available
To review some frequently asked questions about streaming, please click here.
To apply for livestream or record & stream rights, please complete this form.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code WC9000
- Cast Size 8
- Min. Royalty Rate $110/perf
- Cost $11.95
- Approx. Run Time 70 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | College and Adult | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group Elementary School | Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | TYA | Touring Group | Praise Group
- Genre Comedy
- ISBN(13) 9781583427897
- "This was a perfect script for our outdoor summer series! Kids and adults enjoyed the humor and the message of this well-written script. We had a lot of fun creating the Hairy Man and using the chorus members. Audiences loved it!"
- Review by Laura Tufford, Lansing Community College, Lansing, Mich.
- "The show was amazing! Definitely one of the best shows we've ever produced."
- Review by Bradley Nies, Blinn College - Brenham, Brenham, Texas
- "Wonderful story that can be brought to life in many different ways. Chorus work makes this play so unique and creative. My Junior High kids loved bring this play to life and had fun with each character."
- Review by Jennifer McGuire, Miles High School, Miles, Texas
- "This show is incredible! I love a play that uses a chorus, and I love a play EVEN BETTER when it uses a chorus well. I love the message of this show, and I love the humor in all of the "scary.""
- Review by Kirsten King, Bill Hays Middle School, Frisco, Texas
- "This play is extremely entertaining. It is a director’s dream. The cast number is flexible and it allows directors to let their imaginations fly! We left our one act play contest yesterday with first place and numerous individual awards."
- Review by Gem White, Woodville H S, Woodville, Texas
- "Tell the story. A great part of this script is how Wiley overcomes his fears. Our group really fell into that idea and some even overcame some of their fears during the season. It really is a cool script."
- Review by Chase King, St. Edward H S, St. Edward, Neb.
- "Fun script that allows cast members to be creative and innovative."
- Review by Vanessa Bernal, Glendale High School, Glendale, Ariz.
- "Terrific play! Our audiences enjoyed the humor, the excitement, and the lessons learned. Lots of compliments. "
- Review by Donald Beck, Alliance Children's Theatre of Indiana, Michigan City, Ind.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Use the chorus to the fullest to create a mysterious enviroment."
- Tip by Sherri Thompson, Sulphur Bluff ISD, Sulphur Bluff, Texas
|The Theatre School @ North Coast Rep||Solana Beach||California||7/21/2023||7/21/2023|
|Waterworks Players Inc||Farmville||Virginia||8/4/2023||8/12/2023|
|The Players Club of Swarthmore||Swarthmore||Pennsylvania||10/6/2023||10/21/2023|
|Corner Canyon High||Draper||Utah||3/8/2024||3/9/2024|
|Corner Canyon High||Draper||Utah||3/14/2024||4/19/2025|