This version of John Jakes' nationally successful stage adaptation (also available from Dramatic Publishing) specifically tailors the Charles Dickens' holiday classic to the needs of a group touring the show to school cafeterias, gymnasiums, auditoriums and other venues not equipped for conventional theater. The script retains much of the flavor of the original, longer adaptation. It not only tells the Dickens' story faithfully but also allows young audiences to enjoy the real magic of theater—watching the actors create the scene and costume changes as the show moves along. No lighting or sound equipment is required for the production. Music is provided by the cast a cappella. As in the full-length adaptation, Charles Dickens is introduced at the beginning, starts to tell the story of Scrooge's redemption, then brings it alive with the help of the others in the cast. All in all, this is a Christmas Carol low in production expense but high in imaginative uses of the theatre.
Livestream and Record & Stream Rights Available
To review some frequently asked questions about streaming, please click here.
To apply for livestream or record & stream rights, please complete this form.
Read an Excerpt
- A Carol for Tiny Tim
- The Christmas Carol
- A Christmas Carol (Jakes)
- The Christmas Corral
- A Country Christmas Carol (Kaehler)
- A Hillbilly Christmas Carol
- The Trial of Ebenezer Scrooge
- A Christmas Carol (King)
- Carol * A Christmas
- A Christmas Carol (One-act, McDonough)
- A Country Christmas Carol (Nelson)
- A Christmas Carol (Musical, Kornhauser/Barnett)
- A Christmas Carol: The Traditional Story With Modern Music
- A Christmas Carol (Radio Manuscript, Grecian)
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code CD6000
- Cast Size 8
- Min. Royalty Rate $90/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 50 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group Elementary School | Middle School | High School | Community Theatre | Touring Group | Dinner Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781583423974
- "Charming version of this Christmas classic. Our student group of 7-16-year-olds were able to take on the heightened language and humor. Ideal length for a family-friendly show."
- Review by Eve Wolftrand, The Warner Theatre, Torrington, Conn.
- "This is a fabulous script! It retains the integrity of this classic piece, while shortening the length and minimizing the props needed. "
- Review by Megan Kendall, Florence Christian School, Florence, S.C.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Think through the final act as early as you can in the process. After the Ghost of Christmas Future, the scene changes are at a rapid pace."
- Tip by Eve Wolftrand, The Warner Theatre, Torrington, Conn.
- "Utilizing the trunks as suggested is a wonderful idea to keep up the pace of the production."
- Tip by Megan Kendall, Florence Christian School, Florence, S.C.