Charlotte Brontë's magnificent Gothic love story is brought to stirring life. The play's premiere at Paper Mill Playhouse received unanimous praise: "hugely entertaining" (Wall Street Journal); "rich in mystery and romanticism, abundant with brooding atmosphere" (Variety); "enthralling, beautiful, humorous and wildly romantic" (The Trenton Times). In the burned-out ruins of Thornfield Hall, the adult Jane Eyre recalls the disturbing events of her childhood and young adulthood: her miserable upbringing as an orphan thrust upon unsympathetic relatives, her trials at the infamous Lowood School, and eventually her acceptance as governess at Thornfield Hall where she encounters its enigmatic master, Edward Rochester. Jane eventually unravels the secrets of this mysterious place and finds her own personal epiphany through honesty, courage and sacrifice. A moving story for all times and a stunning portrayal of one of the world's greatest heroines.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code J31000
- Cast Size 20
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 130 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages) | Senior Adults
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | Senior Theatre | Touring Group
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871298218
- "Jane Eyre is, by far, the most challenging and rewarding show we have done. The script stays true to the book and is a great tool for getting students (and parents) interested in classic literature. The audience was impressed, because it was obvious we had put a lot of work into our performances."
- Review by Cheyla Wagner, Trenton High School, Trenton, Mich.
- "Our audience loved this skillful adaptation."
- Review by Linda Thayer, Good Company Players, Fresno, CA
- "Jane Eyre is a truly exceptional script and brilliant adaptation. Adhering very faithfully to the original novel, it captures the complex characters, engaging story and lyrical words with passion and pace. The form of older Jane as narrator/participant and the ensemble of players is unique and plays well theatrically."
- Review by Lee Kaplan, Debut Theatre Company, Fort Collins, Colo.
- "An excellent, engaging and well written script. Mr. Johanson conquered the difficult task of writing a part for Jane Eyre as Charlotte Bronte would have seen her. You should carry a script written by Robert Johanson!"
- Review by Ciara Stockeland, Third Street Acting Company, Fargo, N.D.
- "A fine rendition of a powerful love storyÑready-made for a large cast of predominantly females."
- Review by Ken Greenman, Highland High School, Highland, N.Y.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "We didn't go minimalist with the sets or costuming. We had a center section that was 2-levels and permanent and then created triads for the sides. By doing this, we were able to create different locations on the sides that were easily changed as Jane travels. One side of each triad was painted as Thornfield so Rochester's house could take up the entire stage during his scenes."
- Tip by Cheyla Wagner, Trenton High School, Trenton, Mich.
- "Plan out your strategy for this production well in advance. Plot out your prompt book. Research Charlotte Bronte herself and read Jane Eyre!"
- Tip by Ciara Stockeland, Third Street Acting Company, Fargo, N.D.
|Stage Door Productions, INC.||Fredericksburg||Virginia||9/6/2019||9/6/2019|