A comedy about a sometimes tragic, sometimes humorous, aspect of life today—the fact that people don't listen anymore, that people don't hear each other. In the deft hands of playwright Gleason, we see a family together but each one entirely in his or her own world. The point-counterpoint as each follows a separate line of thought is truly hilarious, but there's a poignancy under it. These people who won't or can't hear each other are losing the ability to communicate. The mother, anxious to reach her young people, turns to a psychiatrist for help—only to discover that he can't "hear" either! There's a final effort in which they try to involve themselves a little with each other and a wry, witty conclusion.
Livestream and Record & Stream Rights Available
To review some frequently asked questions about streaming, please click here.
To apply for livestream or record & stream rights, please complete this form.
- Type of Show One-act Play
- Product Code L32000
- Cast Size 6
- Min. Royalty Rate $55/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 40 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre
- Genre Comedy
- ISBN(13) 9780871295538
- "Perfect for a young group. Small cast. Fast paced comedy."
- Review by Sharie Miller, Devine ISD, Devine, Texas
- "The minor parts are all very well written ... there isn't a "bad" part in the whole play."
- Review by Pete Nett, Corning High School, Corning, Iowa
- "Delightfully funny. Reminds me of my own home ... today. With as busy as people are today, it was fun seeing life from the other side of the table."
- Review by Tiffany Morgan, Avalon I.S.D., Avalon, Texas
- "The audience enjoyed the show. It has some great dynamic characters for the students to play and I think the message is clearly observable, without being heavy handed."
- Review by Steve Mandelko, Abraham Lincoln High School, Council Bluffs, IA
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Make sure you work on timing. It is incredibly important in this play!"
- Tip by Eliza Watts, Corrigan Camden High School, Corrigan, Texas
|Lyford High School/Lyford CISD Auditorium||Lyford||Texas||2/13/2023||4/28/2023|
|Frankston High School||Frankston||Texas||4/30/2023||4/30/2023|