Ten years ago Emily Book, the lone survivor of a horrible school bus accident, was sent away from the tiny town of Spring Farm. Now, in her senior year, Emily must return in order to graduate from high school. When she arrives, shy and guarded, Emily is unwillingly thrust into the whirlwind of Spring Farm High. Guided by her biology teacher, Mr. Christopher, and befriended by head cheerleader, Jenny McGrath, Emily must learn to fit in with her classmates while yearning to stay out of the spotlight. But when Jenny's life is threatened in a dangerous stunt at the homecoming basketball game, Emily reveals her true powers as she saves Jenny's life in a stunning display of telekinetic heroism. Thus, Spring Farm's own darling superhero, "The Sparrow," is born. Can this strange girl with even stranger powers be the hero that her town is longing for, or will her dark secret destroy them all? The Sparrow taps into the fundamental aching of adolescence—fearing that we're somehow different while hoping that we're somehow special.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code S1L000
- Cast Size 14
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 100 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781583428573
- "I've loved this show for years and have been wanting to do it with my students. It was a style that was new to them and they really enjoyed investigating the material. Our parents were impressed to see the students handle such contemporary dramatic work, and everyone—actors and audience alike—enjoyed the beautiful stage magic and captivating theatricality of this show."
- Review by Chris Carcione, Birch Wathen Lenox School, New York, N.Y.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "-The music is essential—I can't imagine having done this play without Kevin O'Donnell's brilliant score.
-This can be done with very minimal sets, props, and costumes.
-There is a lot of opportunity to develop group devising skills through the moments of magic that happen on stage.
- Tip by Chris Carcione, Birch Wathen Lenox School, New York, N.Y.
Media Reviews"The Sparrow presents the best of fresh theatre storytelling. It's original, imaginative and entertaining." -Miami New Times
"This show is among the very best original theatre pieces I've ever seen in this town. It is a thrilling, riveting celebration of the power of imagination that adults and teens can enjoy, and understand, together." -Chicago Tribune
|The Winsor School||Boston||Massachusetts||11/15/2019||11/16/2019|