When an anonymous note sends a newlywed wife looking for help, Miss Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Dorothy Watson work together to uncover the secrets surrounding a corrupt police inspector whose wives have a habit of turning up dead. But this Holmes and Watson face far greater challenges than bringing the cunning criminal to justice. Miss Holmes possesses one of the greatest deductive minds of her generation, but she chafes at the restraints imposed upon her by society and family. Dr. Watson struggles to make a difference at the only hospital in London that will hire female doctors. In a time and place where gender roles are rigidly defined, these unconventional women dare to challenge societal norms by providing an unusual, but necessary, service. Inspired by the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, this theatrical fan fiction shines a new light on favorite characters from the canon, re-examining the Victorian world of Holmes and Watson by exploring the added obstacles faced by these two iconic characters if they were women.
Livestream and Record & Stream Rights Available
To review some frequently asked questions about streaming, please click here.
To apply for livestream or record & stream rights, please complete this form.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code MQ5000
- Cast Size 9
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 135 min
- Target Audience High School | College and Adult | Senior Adults
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781619591523
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "We went with a Steampunk theme. Figuring out how to have a lot of movement during the long sets of dialogue is key to making this a successful play."
- Tip by Elizabeth Wilks, Sweet Home High School, Sweet Home, Ore.
“This amazing play deals with the anti-female bias against women medical doctors.” –Chicago Critic
“Weaves all the smart observations by Holmes with the unique observations by Watson that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle would appreciate.” –Chicago Critic
“A noteworthy play—one that expertly takes Sherlock Holmes into gender-bending territory.” –Chicago Critic
“A smart, fast-paced Sherlock Holmes with a twist!” –Chicago Critic
“All the wit, mystery, and dynamism … and a decidedly feminist take on that familiar tale.” –Chicago Theatre Review
“Features numerous twists and turns, with the ultimate revelation being one of pure joy … with grisly undertones.” –Chicago Theatre Review
“Positively cackles with energy and delights in its commentary on Victorian England.” –Chicago Theatre Review
“A cunning and highly enjoyable gender-bent take on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's maddeningly brilliant detective.” –Chicago Tribune
“Being the world's greatest detective is even harder when one is metaphorically doing it backward and in high heels.” –Chicago Tribune
“[Walsh] changes the key characters’ gender. Miss Holmes is therefore largely concerned with Victorian patriarchal oppression, but Walsh has concocted an exciting mystery to accompany it.” –Around the Town Chicago
“For the many fans of the great detective, Miss Holmes is a true delight—expanding and commenting on the original, while adding its own twist.” –Around the Town Chicago
|Ohio Shakespeare Festival||Akron||Ohio||10/7/2021||10/24/2021|
|Formby Little Theatre||Formby||7/27/2021||7/30/2021|
|Waukesha Civic Theatre||Waukesha||Wisconsin||9/10/2021||9/26/2021|
|Oak Park & River Forest High School||Oak Park||Illinois||10/1/2021||10/9/2021|
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).