Complete with a bum, a town cop and a local brat, this show unfolds in the park of Maple Springs, Missouri, around 1900. Painter Alison longs to take her career to the big city. Eric hopes she will not leave but is reluctant to interfere. Alison comes to realize that her self-concern has blinded her to discovering her own place.
- Type of Show One-act Play
- Product Code H28000
- Cast Size 8
- Min. Royalty Rate $35/perf
- Cost $8.95
- Approx. Run Time 45 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre
- Genre Comedy
- ISBN(13) 9780871299284
- "I loved directing this show! It is charming and sweet. Unlike most one acts, it does require more of a real set but it is well worth the effort. Although probably not necessary, it offers the opportunity for accents including a light Southern, Irish, and British."
- Review by James Larson, Delavan Darien High School, Delavan, Wis.
- "The play is an excellent portrayal of the character development of two people who fall in "love" and two people who fall in "like.""
- Review by Ritchard Bean, Warren High School, Warren, Texas
- "Hopes and Words and Ordinary Things is a surprise gem. This unassuming play has all the charm of an old-fashioned picnic in the park. A delightful little comedy that leaves you feeling good all over."
- Review by Christopher Coker, Roxton High School, Roxton, Texas
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Need a strong cast for this."
- Tip by James Larson, Delavan Darien High School, Delavan, Wis.
- "Work hard on the chemistry between Eric and Alison. Spend time in the park scene when these two and Roger and Emily are together."
- Tip by Ritchard Bean, Warren High School, Warren, Texas