Inspired by a simple, poignant letter written over 100 years ago by 8-year-old Virginia O'Hanlon to the editor of the New York Sun—and by the timeless editorial response printed on the front page of the Sun. Virginia wondered and wrote: "Dear Editor, I am 8 years old. Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus. Papa says if you see it in the Sun, it's so. Please tell me the truth. Is there a Santa Claus?" Ed Mitchell, the Sun's editor, gives the assignment of answering Virginia's letter to Frank Church who, until his wife and baby died last Christmas Eve, was the Sun's best and most dependable reporter. Yes Virginia, There Is a Santa Claus is a play for young and old, magically reaffirming life's highest beauty and joy—"the eternal light with which childhood fills the world."
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code Y22000
- Cast Size 25
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 90 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages) | Senior Adults | Praise Groups
- Performing Group Elementary School | Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | Senior Theatre | Touring Group | Praise Group | Dinner Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871298751
- "What a great show! I work at a high school in a small, conservative town. This show was perfect for the community but also provided challenging content for my students. Casting is flexible enough to have a very large cast or a medium sized cast."
- Review by Hannah Cummins, Batesville HS, Batesville, Ark.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "If doing this show again, I would take extra care to work transitions. The scene transitions in this show particularly provide great opportunities for movement work."
- Tip by Hannah Cummins, Batesville HS, Batesville, Ark.
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).