Here is another one-act play in Jerome McDonough's exciting avant-garde manner. Like his superbly successful Fables, this play shows his talent for paring away the egocentric stamp of approval which each of us gives to our actions. A company of players takes the audience through a kaleidoscope in which one episode dissolves into another like an absurd dream. Each episode lets you see some aspect of yourself as a perceptive artist sees you, and the view is not always pleasant. What is the "asylum?" Is it the world of "normal" people, or the rest of us? The feeling of Asylum is one of space rather than a stage, a nameless place rather than a specific location. Technical theatricality must be minimized. An area, empty except for a tattered wheelchair. The choice of music is the Ensemble's prerogative. For university, community and high school.
- Type of Show One-act Play
- Product Code AJ1000
- Cast Size 10
- Min. Royalty Rate $35/perf
- Cost $8.95
- Approx. Run Time 40 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre
- Genre Drama | Farce
- ISBN(13) 9780886800086
- "First place in one-act plays at Southeast Missouri State University … We love the play!"
- Review by Jo Nell Seifert, Poplar Bluff, Mo., Senior High School
- "Lee HighÕs Drama received an invitation to present Asylum at the International Thespian Festival … We won first in our state … Thanks to I. E. Clark and Jerome McDonough, my students are wiser, closer and very proud because of Asylum."
- Review by Ron Harris, Huntsville, Ala.