The composers of Bye, Bye, Birdie have written another musical, this one set at a small, football-oriented college. Professor Fodorski arrives with other immigrants singing a naturalization rag with such lines as "Make us Hungarians/Into Rotarians/Change us Roumanianso Pennsylvanians." Frantic to please, professor Fodorski finally reaches his sports-minded students by stating his engineering concepts in football terms and, in the course of demonstrating a principle, turns a mousy student drudge named Bricker into a phenomenal kicker. ("Your hip is the fulcrum, multiply by the force of the lever, your knee.") The team becomes a sensation, as do Bricker and the astonished professor. This show makes a comment on education today by putting it in terms of a bright and marvelous musical comedy. This musical has one of the most beautiful love songs ever written for a musical, the haunting "Once Upon a Time."
- Type of Show Musical
- Product Code A02000
- Cast Size 12
- Min. Royalty Rate $90/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 100 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages) | Senior Adults
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | Touring Group
- Genre Comedy
- ISBN(13) 9780871293121
- "This wonderful musical is a great show with love, laughs, tenderness, and an important message or two lurking amidst the fun! It is suitable for all ages. It is fun, funny, lively, sweet and touching, with a nice message about what is really important and a jab at athletics vs. academics and crass commercialism. It has great music and leaves the audience feeling good with the happy reminder about how nice it is to be an American."
- Review by Leslie Thomas, Whitefish High School, Whitefish, Mont.
- "Perfect show to encourage cooperation between jocks and arts. Also offered opportunity for teachers as well as students to participate in a summer production. Nice interplay all around. Well received."
- Review by Janina Shoemaker, Gretna Little Theatre, Gretna, Va.