Originally presented by the Guthrie Theatre, this multi-image dramatic staging received rave reviews when it was toured with Leonard Nimoy playing the one extraordinary role. The excitement and color of Van Gogh's life and art enhance this production through the projection of images that are easily handled and carefully cued to add impact to the words. The slides, an education in themselves, may be rented to use with your production. As the Variety critic put it, "The actor doesn't have the stage to himself. He plays against the celebrated artist's brilliant painting projected on two large screens." The total effect is dazzling, yet this remains an especially easy show to present, provided you have a capable actor for the single role.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code V17000
- Cast Size 1
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 70 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages) | Senior Adults
- Performing Group Community Theatre | Professional Theatre
- Genre Drama | Tragedy
- ISBN(13) 9780871293862
- "This was a hard show to anticipate audience reaction during rehearsals. I wasn't sure of the productions viability until the first performance. Luckily the reaction was everything I wanted it to be and more. Tears, circumspection, a general feeling of "belonging" to the show. This was my "preview" show before trying to book the show into art galleries around the US. I now know the audience reaction to it and I am ready to travel!"
- Review by Jeanne Dunphy, Dreamweavers LA, Pasadena, Calif.
- "Highly successful S.R.O. Cast two shows. Excellent newspaper reviews. perfect for a library production."
- Review by Ken Tschan, Goshen Public Library, Goshen, N.Y.
- "Vincent by Leonard Nimoy is an excellent monologue portraying Vincent Van Gogh's personal views and experience through his brother's eyes. It is very well pieced together using Vincent and Theo's letters and specific and transcendental moments in their life experience."
- Review by Orlando Gonzalez, Eclectico Internacional, Bayamon, Puerto Rico
- "Our production of Vincent was a HUGE success!! There were standing ovations each night. It is just such a beautiful, bittersweet story of such a beloved artist. The slides made it an exceptionally beautiful, unique theatrical experience. Many were moved to tears. We have been asked by the Knoxville Museum of Art to put it on again next June. They have had so many requests to see it again. Many in attendance the second night had already seen the first show and brought others with them!"
- Review by Liz Stowers, Enright Productions, Knoxville, Tenn.
- "A moving and personal look at the world's best known and least understood artist. This play pulls the audience in and keeps them long after the final curtain."
- Review by Bas Rynsewyn, Serious Moonlight Productions, Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
- "The audience was riveted. We want to bring it back next year. I wish we did a longer run because once word of mouth got out the limited run was over. We will plan better next time."
- Review by Shira Dubrovner, Mammoth Lakes Foundation, Mammoth Lakes, CA