Binky Rudich, his friend Viv, and his almost human sheep Bob tinker with a two-speed clock with the idea that, as Binky says, "Time on Earth moves at the same speed all the time, but there is another speed, a slower speed, and if we could find it, everything would stand still on Earth and we would spin off." And they do! To Crestview, Fourth World in the Goolagong System, ruled by George Topax and guarded by the Great Space Pandas. The excitement really begins when the Supreme Ruler commands that Bob be brought to him, never again to leave Goolagong, and he steals the two-speed clock just to make sure. Only a very serious playwright could produce such an insane comedy!
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code R26000
- Cast Size 15
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 85 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | TYA
- Genre Comedy
- ISBN(13) 9780871295323
- "This is the second time I've directed this play. It is the funniest and most entertaining children's play around."
- Review by Alex Golson, Orange Coast College, Costa Mesa, CA
- "The teens loved this play! They enjoyed the challenge of quirky humor and had fun with the science fiction aspects. This play doesn't go out of date! It was as well received by teens eight years ago as it was in June!"
- Review by Darlene J. Lentz, Theater Center, Inc., Deland FL
- "Wonderfully written on several different levels so that audiences can be of all ages. High school students complained about difficulty of lines, but once learned (Mr. Mamet's way), dialogue was natural."
- Review by Nancy Hansen, Irvin High School, El Paso, TX
- "Suitable for youngsters to perform, extremely funny; nothing like having a play written by a competent playwright for children to perform."
- Review by William Shorr, Jel Theatre, Beverly, Mass.
- "Guaranteed to delight audiences of all ages. Easy to stage, limited only by your imagination. Performers of all ages love it, too."
- Review by Daniel Mew, Kawananakoa Middle School, Honolulu, Hawaii
- "Space Pandas was a great script for our student directorÑlots of fun and very manageable. Our students had a wonderful time with this show!"
- Review by Leslie Price, Theatre of Western Springs, Western Springs, Ill.
- "This was one of the most fun shows we have done in several years. I would recommend it to any school group that wants to attempt Mamet."
- Review by Keith Denslow, Skiatook High School, Skiatook, Okla.
- "For our fall drama production, we wanted to do a show geared to kids, and Revenge of the Space Pandas totally fit the bill. It gave us flexibility to have a large cast and gave several novice actors a chance to grow."
- Review by Lisa Rule, Chillicothe High School, Chillicothe, Mo.
- "Great script. Lots of fun smaller roles and opportunities for physical humor. We had to adapt our production to a flat space because of auditorium renovations, but it worked out great."
- Review by Pete Nett, Corning Community School, Corning, Iowa