A motion picture originally released by Warner Brothers, this Oscar-nominated drama is the compelling true story of a dedicated East Los Angeles teacher who surmounts overwhelming odds in his quest to turn inner-city students into whiz kids. When Jaime Escalante leaves a career in engineering to teach high school math, he is assigned to a barrio school with a reputation for gangs, drugs and dropouts, an ill-funded school that is also in imminent danger of losing its accreditation. Still, his quirky sense of humor, antics and offbeat teaching methods mesmerize and motivate his students. A class goal is set: to take the Advanced Placement Calculus Test, an exam so demanding that less than two percent of seniors attempt it. Pressure mounts! Escalante works his students and himself so obsessively that he suffers a heart attack a couple of days before the test; nonetheless, 18 students take the test. All 18 pass! However, the skeptical Educational Testing Service invalidates the scores because of the unusual similarity of wrong answers. Ambition and pride vanish in a single computerized keystroke. Reluctantly, the students agree to retest. The result provides the dramatic conclusion to this emotion-packed, inspirational, urban fairy tale.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code SB3000
- Cast Size 17
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 130 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Senior Adults
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre
- Genre Comedy | Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871297402
- "Stand and Deliver is an excellent example of a great teaching play. The actors and audience learn about different cultures, different times, and about important moral values. This play reaches young actors in a special way."
- Review by Paul Palmore, Punahou School, Honolulu, Hawaii
- "Stand and Deliver was very much like the movie. It was a great show to perform because audiences recognize the characters and want to see how the show compares to the movie. Also, the show has many comic moments despite its serious theme. It was easy and fun to produceÑa great play for high schools! :)"
- Review by Kellerie Aldape, McLane High School, Fresno, Calif.
- "It's a great show because it teaches a great lesson on value and importance. It's a great way to include ESL students and it's a good learning opportunity both for ESL students and regular students."
- Review by Chuck Malone, Waukesha North High School, Waukesha, Wis.
- "This play was a huge success at my middle school. The audience and performers enjoyed the show tremendously. Plus, it was easy to produce in terms of sets and costumes. I highly recommend it, especially for urban schools."
- Review by Laurentino Zarate, John Adams Middle School, Los Angeles, Calif.
- "Powerful and moving drama, continues to inspire and motivate. "Those who CARE teach.""
- Review by Susan Cooper, Blue Springs South High School, Blue Springs, Mo.
- "Stand and Deliver was an outstanding selection for our school. It provides for a mixed cast with enough challenging monologues and small roles for those just starting out. This was a complete success for us."
- Review by Robyn Fowler, Northside High School, Fort Smith, Ark.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Because of the story line of this show, it's a good idea to tell teachers about it. They will encourage their students to come and watch because it's so powerful! Also, don't worry about making an expensive, elaborate set—this show carries itself."
- Tip by Kellerie Aldape, McLane High School, Fresno, Calif.
- "Casting more students than required helps create scenes for the classroom, the halls or even just for background stage business."
- Tip by Chuck Malone, Waukesha North High School, Waukesha, Wis.
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).