A holiday musical called "incisive and poignant" by the Chicago Sun-Times and "affirming and family-friendly" by the Chicago Tribune, Prairie Lights tells the story of a Jewish brother and sister who journey west on an Orphan Train in 1905. Arriving with other homeless youths in a tiny Nebraska town just before the holidays, Benjamin and Rose are adopted by Wellspring's only Jewish couple, Abe and Sophie Birnbaum. Devout 12-year-old Benjamin clashes with Abe, a successful shopkeeper who has abandoned his religion. Meanwhile, 15-year-old Rose falls secretly in love with a fellow orphan, thus upsetting Sophie's marriage plans for the girl. Townsfolk are further divided by the fearful banker, Maxwell Ryder, who wants to send all of the orphans back to New York. As the town prepares for Christmas and Hanukkah approaches, Benjamin finds himself enlisting the young people—orphans and local kids alike—on a quest to reunite Wellspring. Joyful ensemble numbers such as "Sweet Holiday Light," and "If I Were a Maccabee" are complemented by Sophie's soul-searching lament, "Mama, Good Morning," and the romantic ballad, "Far Away With Me."
- Type of Show Musical
- Product Code PA4000
- Cast Size 18
- Min. Royalty Rate $85/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 120 min
- ISBN(13) 9781583422465
- "Prairie Lights was well received by our audiences. In fact, I can't remember a show I've directed that received so many positive comments. The story is rich and the music thoroughly enjoyable!"
- Review by Terry Hedges, Port of Call Community Players, Spencerport, N.Y.
Media Reviews"Evokes the hopefulness of the winter holidays...treats children and adults with respect." -Columbus Dispatch
|Way Out Here||mp3||Download|
|Far Away With Me||mp3||Download|
|Momma, Good Morning||mp3||Download|
|Sweet Holiday Light||mp3||Download|
|If I Were a Maccabee||mp3||Download|
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).