Livestream and Record & Stream Rights Available
To review some frequently asked questions about streaming, please click here.
To apply for livestream or record & stream rights, please complete this form.
- Type of Show One-act Play
- Product Code OA5000
- Cast Size 14
- Min. Royalty Rate $55/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 45 min
- Target Audience High School | College and Adult | Senior Adults
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Touring Group
- Genre Comedy | Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781619590489
- "Our Place offers roles of varying difficulty levels, and, because it's separate vignettes, it lends itself to a flexible rehearsal schedule."
- Review by Lacy Browne, Wilson Area High School, Easton, Pa.
- "We performed Our Place by Terry Gabbard for the South Mississippi High School Dramafestival. We were awarded the Distinguished Play award and will be advancing to the Mississippi Theatre Association State Festival in Jan. 2021. The adjudicators appreciated the depth of the characters and the opportunity for many students to have the spotlight during the show. The set is minimal and easily do-able on a tight budget."
- Review by Olivia Dunwoody, Biloxi High School Tribe Theatre Productions, Biloxi, Miss.
- "This was a fantastic show to do during the Covid-19 pandemic. It has five scenes. Three with only 2 characters per scene and two with 5 characters per scene. We wore masks and socially distanced during rehearsals and backstage. A very moving play with moments of humor to help carry the audience through the serious moments. Also, a great play for your techies because it can be as much or as little on the tech side as you want to do. We went all out and were very happy with our production."
- Review by Stephanie Schultze, Russellville High School, Russellville, Ark.
- "The script for Our Place is beautiful. The author left room for performers to create interesting and unique characters. The play has it all: comedy, introspection, and heart-break (real and imagined). Each rehearsal was fun when working on this play. "
- Review by Melanie Whiting, Lubbock Christian School, Lubbock, Texas
- "Fantastic script for high school, college, or community theatre! Flexible casting, a wonderful mix of laughter and poignancy, easy and versatile to stage."
- Review by Cassie Bennett, Harding University, Searcy, Ark.
- "Emotion and characterization are key in this production. Spacing is limited by the setting of an old dock, and there isn’t a dramatic arch of a story line. It’s five separate stories. Each one needs to be treated individually, with emotion. From the hilarious knocking Dad unconscious to the dramatic moment of Sidney falling in the water, each emotion needs to be played to the fullest. My students loved this play and the judges loved its as well."
- Review by Brittany Beall, Royal Junior High School, Brookshire, Texas
- "This has been my students favorite one act because of the segmented approach of the script. We can really work on weak portions out of sequence without running the entire show. My students also related the script which makes a huge difference. "
- Review by Teresa Dalton, Grafton High School, Grafton, W.Va.
- "Wonderful show and great for high school students! I wish it were a bit longer because being around 40 minutes was a little short to charge much admission. "
- Review by Carole Catherine, Otsego High School, Allegan, Mich.
- "We used this script for our contest one act play for the Minnesota State High School League. We placed first in our conference, 2nd in our sub section and second in our section. We received great praise from judges, parents, and community members. This script was gold! Thank you Terry Gabbard!"
- Review by Jackie Whitacre, Filmore Central Senior High, Harmony, Minn.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "A tip I can offer would be that if you can cast a quality young actor as your Sidney, it lifts up not only that scene but the audience impression overall."
- Tip by Lacy Browne, Wilson Area High School, Easton, Pa.
- "For our production, we created a dock out of 4x4 and 4x8 platforms. One 4x8 was placed on top of the 4x4s to create a space for Sidney to fall behind the dock. We used an air mattress on skid resistant shelving material to catch both her and Stanley, which worked well."
- Tip by Melanie Whiting, Lubbock Christian School, Lubbock, Texas
- "We kept our set minimal and mimicked Mussleman High's set using the painted concrete tubes and rope attached to them. One bench, some props, and ready to roll. "
- Tip by Teresa Dalton, Grafton High School, Grafton, W.Va.
- "We tried to get a teacher to play the father, but ended up with a student which worked too! "
- Tip by Carole Catherine, Otsego High School, Allegan, Mich.
- "The actors need to have honest portrayals of the characters. The "dock" should be simple but the bench(es) are needed to give levels in blocking. Flowing music is helpful for transitions between scenes and sets the mood. "
- Tip by Jackie Whitacre, Filmore Central Senior High, Harmony, Minn.
- "Have a plan for knocking Al on the head with the oars. This is a funny bit, but a bit tricky to pull off believably without injuring the actor. Having Sidney fall into the lake is also a tough bit to pull off believably (we used a tall air mattress, but unfortunately the people at the back of the house could see her bounce)."
- Tip by Tim Buchheit, St. Francis Borgia Regional High School, Washington, Mo.
|Field Kindley High School||Coffeyville||Kansas||4/27/2023||4/29/2023|
|Sunset High School||Dallas||Texas||5/11/2023||5/11/2023|
|The Academies At Jonesboro High School||Jonesboro||Arkansas||11/11/2022||2/10/2023|
|Martinsburg High School||Martinsburg||West Virginia||10/1/2022||4/1/2023|
|Rock Ridge High School||Ashburn||Virginia||3/21/2023||3/21/2023|
|Bryan High School||Omaha||Nebraska||4/28/2023||4/30/2023|
|Severna Park High||Severna Park||Maryland||5/26/2023||5/26/2023|
|Spring Valley High School||Huntington||West Virginia||2/24/2023||2/26/2023|
|Starline Academy for the Performing Arts||Stoughton||Massachusetts||5/20/2023||5/20/2023|
|Lakeside Junior High School||Springdale||Arkansas||2/23/2023||2/24/2023|
|Hobbs High||Hobbs||New Mexico||3/2/2023||3/5/2023|
|Apollo High School||Owensboro||Kentucky||4/21/2023||4/22/2023|
|Apollo High School||Owensboro||Kentucky||4/21/2023||4/22/2023|
|Lanier High School||Sugar Hill||Georgia||3/28/2023||3/29/2023|