Fahrenheit 451 is the temperature at which paper ignites. With simple sets and uncomplicated staging, this powerful drama is about the inner struggle of Guy Montag, a fireman. Montag has worked as a civil servant for ten years burning books, but lately he has become increasingly unsure about what he is doing and about his vegetable-like existence. It is not until he meets 16-year-old Clarisse, who is filled with strange ideas, that he is led into a dangerous and highly combustible situation. Now he must choose between continuing his nonexistent existence and risking everything for the right to think.
Limited Livestream Rights AvailableContact our customer service department for more information.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code F35000
- Cast Size 24
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 110 min
- Target Audience High School | College and Adult
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | Touring Group
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871293107
- "A great dramatic interpretation of a literary classic. This is a stunning and timely piece of drama, so relevant for our political climate. Our audiences were amazed!"
- Review by Jeff Ortmann, Beverly Theatre Guild, Oak Lawn, Ill.
- "An incredibly relevant and prophetic play adaptation of a classic novel. A challenging piece for any company."
- Review by David Longford, The Royal Company, Nottingham, England
- "Honors the book and the medium. Great for school groups."
- Review by Joe Angel Babb, The Alley Theatre, Houston, Texas
- "This is one of the great classical pieces of literature that is worth being on the stage till the end of theatrical time."
- Review by Hope deFrenes, Montgomery Theater, Souderton, Pa.
- "Our students, teachers and patrons were on the edge of their seats. This powerful play delivers a message that every community needs to hear: it is dangerous when a society stops thinking and growing and, most importantly, reading. It was a challenge, but worth it!"
- Review by Hillary Bower, Tri-School Theatre, Anaheim, Calif.
- "It was an excellent show. English classes read Fahrenheit 451 at our school. We did a discussion group on the Internet and I contacted Ray Bradbury to tell him about our show and all the things we did. The students were most excited to hear from him."
- Review by Bob Howell, Illinois Valley Central High School, Chillicothe, Ill.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Our production included some wonderful projections, imaginative set, costumes and futuristic sound design."
- Tip by Jeff Ortmann, Beverly Theatre Guild, Oak Lawn, Ill.
- "A must is a fire pole—we had one and it was most impressive. I used a JPEG from the Internet and, with projectors, had flames up both sides of the stage—very startling."
- Tip by Bob Howell, Illinois Valley Central High School, Chillicothe, Ill.
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).