This new, award-winning adaptation of Dostoyevsky's literary masterpiece Crime and Punishment is told by three actors playing Raskolnikov (the murderer), Porfiry Petrovitch (the detective), Sonia (the young prostitute) and many other characters in this famous story. This "conversation on the nature of evil" is set in the mind of the murderer where he relives and explores, through the urging of Porfiry and Sonia, the thoughts, ideas and feelings that drove him to his horrible crime. The play becomes a psychological landscape which creates a thrilling journey into the mind of a killer and his search for redemption. Raskolnikov speaks directly to the audience at times, putting his case to them, so that the audience becomes another character in the telling. This is an intimate psychological and spiritual journey which seeks to unveil hidden dimensions of the human condition.
NotesA script revision is available in the Downloads section.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code CB8000
- Cast Size 3
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 90 min
- Target Audience High School | College and Adult
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781583422250
Media Reviews"In a feat that rivals the construction of the Hoover Dam, Crime and Punishment has been distilled into a taut 90-minute play that will banish any bad memories you might have of trying to struggle through Dostoyevsky's book. Just three actors tell the tale and may have you confessing to some murders yourself by the play's end." -The New York Times
"Only occasionally can the production of a classic make us see the work differently...this adaptation and production remind us how thrilling a classic can be. On opening night you feel the audience holding its breath throughout the performance. Go: it will leave you breathless, too." -AISLE SAY Chicago
"Raskolnikov’s journey may be, in essence, a 90-minute exercise in logic, but here it’s a remarkably absorbing one." -The New York Times
"Stunningly lean, taut and emotionally searing … a work of theatre that never feels like a condensation of a seminal 500-page novel, but rather has the swift, sharp impact of a blow from an ax." -Hedy Weiss, Chicago Sun-Times
"Who would have thought that the novel no high school student has ever finished reading would make such engrossing theater?" -The New York Times
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).